Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Hourly

Bookseller (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

ProsVery intellectualy stimulating. Great staff and customers. Book loan program is awesome. Cafe discount is 50% - great food and drinks. Management was very interested in our well being overall. Management is not tolerant of abusive customers and will always make sure the employee is treated with respect.

ConsLow pay even if you have years of experience.
Company is not renewing leases and closing a lot of stores so be careful before you accept a job.
They only hire leads and managers as full time.
Customers are very spoiled and allowed to leave piles of books and magazines for employees to pick up and put away.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope you'll can continue to stay alive because people still buy real books and still enjoy browsing in a bookstore. Good luck.

Look elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pay ok. Bonus plan. Free beverage and snacks, and small cafeteria.… Cons: Lacks vision, innovation, leadership, direction, good managers, organization, or structure to support just day-to-day… Advice to Senior Management: Playing catch up is not enough to survive in today's… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Bookselling

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros: Great company to work for if you are a student are looking for a part-time work.… Cons: Unclear information provided by management about policies and procedures. Promotion… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.