There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Barnes and Nobles

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Falls Church, VA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

Variety of experience, great coworkers normally

Cons

Poor hours, inflexible management, stressful

increase number of employees

1070 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Decent job if your in college or high school and need flexibility and don't require much pay.

Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours for college students or people with other jobs. Diverse and educated group. Discount is 30% for merchandise and 50% for food and coffee.

Cons

Horrible pay for all positions. Hours can be sporadic or non existent at times. You should consider working for this company only as a part time employee that needs flexibility. No one that is in a management position or lead position is satisfied.

Provide your employees with consistent scheduling, lead by example, and cut back on the micromanaging.

Boring and ill paying, but not a bad first job and I met a lot of other nerdy people.

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Richmond, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work at Barnes & Noble tend to be of the quiet/nerdy stripe, which is good if you are also of that persuasion. Pay was never late, you get a 30% discount. The work was never hard, just tedious. Sometimes you get to have interesting conversations with customers. When I had customers become irrational and rude, my manager always had my back.

Cons

The types of tasks I was assigned were very boring or repetitive and I was paid minimum wage. As an intellectual person, I was drawn to working at Barnes&Noble, but realistically, it's just retail. It is rare that anything engaging happens or that you have anything to do that isn't tedious.

Pay your employees a living wage, give them more challenging projects to do, keep people busier so they aren't clawing their eyes out rearranging the swag aisle in front of the register for the 20th time in the hour.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!