Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Great work-life balance and great to be surrounded by books

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNice to work with people who are there because they love the product. Nice to be able to enhance the lives of our customers.

ConsNOOK is great, but there is so much competition today. Amazon and Kindle are household names that are hard to overcome, despite NOOK being a superior product.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow customers to get on-line prices in the stores. Customers have a hard time understanding the price differences and they don't care about cost-structure reasoning.

Pretty good for retail job

Part Time Book Seller (Former Employee)
    Manchester, NH

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros: Part of the job is to know books- what's new, what's good, what's hot- so if you're a literature fan… Cons: Very strict corporate structure, sometimes it's hard to find arguments as to why B&N is… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Lovely place to work on the retail level, as long as you have a noggin and little desire for money.

Bookseller (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros: Most of my coworkers are wonderful to work with. They're all at least reasonably intelligent and the not-so-bright ones who do manage to get hired… Cons: On the retail sales level, the pay is minimum-wage and one without managerial experience must start PT (meaning no benefits). Also, the only way to… Advice to Senior Management: Please do something to anchor great employees. The clientele who walk in really appreciate employees with at least a partial college education to help… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.