Barnes & Noble

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Just like anywhere else

Former Employee - Bookseller in New York, NY
Former Employee - Bookseller in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co workers, discounts on all products , being around so much knowledge, plenty overtime during holiday season, casual dress code- no jeans though

Cons

I had a bad experience with one particular manager that told advantage of my work, hours got cut after holiday seasons

Not to take advantage of those who are often doing what they are suppose to and more.

1227 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Way too much work for little pay

Former Employee - Specialty Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Specialty Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent product discounts, not great. Usually the people are fun to work with. Great place if you like books, you get to hear and see the newest books.

Cons

Too may projects set forth by the company, some managers are little to no help to anyone on the sales floor. Booksellers are too task oriented to provide customer service, even the Regional manager told me customer service comes second, getting the product out of the backroom onto the sales floor is more important. Ive been in the retail field for 20 years, and every one of those companies puts customers first. Low wages, usually below standard. unrealistic goals set by district and regional managers.

Learn the fact the customers are the reason you are there, and the reason your doors stay open. Without them or the booksellers that you employ you won't have a store. Stop putting warm bodies in a store and hire people that have some skills or have a desire to be there. Stop making it so easy for customers to steal products right out from under your noses.

Not paid enough for the crap I dealt with.

Former Employee - Head Cashier
    Former Employee - Head Cashier

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Most of my co-workers were a dream.
    - Lead position got stable hours.
    - A few cool regulars

Cons

- More crazy customers than normal ones.
    - Too much work given in too small of a time period
    - The pay for a lead position should've been the pay for regular booksellers, and the leads should have at least gotten about two dollars more.
    - No help. Ever.
    - Severe lack of communication from management.
    - High levels of micro-managing. (It felt like I was being babysat frequently)

My main concern is the extremely low pay. With the amount of training and knowledge we need to stay on top of, I feel that we should be paid more. The fast food joint across the street starts people at about two dollars more than our leads make.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble