Barnes & Noble

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Good stopover job

Current Employee - Bookseller in Plymouth Meeting, PA
Current Employee - Bookseller in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A really good job - entered as a student, and the managers were always wonderful about my erratic and ever-changing schedule

Cons

Customers, customers, customers - a lot of the issues on the B&N website led to in-store issues like those angry about web-only sales or prices
Too much corporate control meant none of the sales staff's personalities showed in the books - many of the titles on display were ones none of us cared about or liked
Low pay for tasks managed

Return a little display control to employees

1187 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Community Relations Manger

Current Employee - Community Relations Manager
    Current Employee - Community Relations Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Excellent Co-Workers, Generous Discount 30% / 40% 2x a year . Interesting events, meet great people. fun work environment.

Cons

Low pay, especially for entry level booksellers, time needed for tasking is highly under estimated by corporate. Not enough booksellers on the sales floor to accommodate the needs of the customers.

Overhaul the Delivery system so that like books are delivered together to minimize time needed to process shipments. Fiction with fiction etc. also, ex:If I am receiving 20 copies of 1 title they should come in the same carton not spread out amongst 6 cartons. Hold 944 Read more accountable. The drop the ball too often and we have to grovel to get what we need.

Give laptops and cell phones to CRM if you want us be out in the field making sales let us process quotes and sales on the spot.. Add another computer to the manager office. We are often 3-4 deep waiting for our turn to get something done. Valuable time is wasted.

Be realistic about the actual amount of time it takes to process a quote, a sale and plan and facilitate events. Managers are cutting payroll hours due to pressure from above. All the CRM tasks that Corporate thinks are being delegated to booksellers and cashiers aren't. They are too busy doing e-planner etc. When we ask for help the managers tell us they do not have the payroll hours to spare for us. Update computer system so that it works at a decent speed, dial up works better than what we are dealing with now.

Streamline the quote/sales process to one computer. It takes 3 trips back and forth through the store sometimes on 2 different floors wastes and incredible amount of time just to process 1 quote/sale.

Tell the CRM what the discounted NOOK prices are so they don't have to request pricing every time. Makes us look foolish at appointments. (What do you mean you can't give me a price right now?)

Rules change, processes change and the information does not make it down to the store level. When public folders or BN&inside are update emails should go out to the appropriate staff that are affected by the change, Monthly CRM Update at minimum should take place. Each district should have a lead CRM who works with the district Manger to help trouble shoot and create solutions to better improve this position. Pay bonuses to CRMS we all feel under appreciated and underpaid We bring in a great deal of business to the store and have to jump through hoops to get the job done efficiently We should be compensated.

Acknowledge the individual employees Birthday by mailing them a $5.00 gift card in the mail. This way they can get coffee or a snack to celebrate.

Give each employee $0.50 each time they sell a member card. Good will goes a long way and sales would sky rocket.

Unique, Interesting, Pleasant place to work- Not much room for advancement, however.

Current Employee - Bookseller, Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Bookseller, Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clean, pleasant work environment. Coworkers are, more often than not, unique and interesting people. Variety of tasks can be performed, keeping things fresh.

Cons

Low Pay, Not much opportunity for advancement. Some employees can be difficult to work with- Questionable future and business model.

Rework business model to adapt to changing demands

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble