There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

degrading

Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting great co-workers and long-lasting friends
If you are a lead or manager, they will generally try and work with your schedule (if they like you).
Once in a while, there will be an excellent manager; but this is few-and-far between.
Most of the workers (non-management) are very talented individuals.

Cons

They won't work with your schedule if you are not a lead or manager, despite how many years you have given them.
25 cent raises, once per year, are the norm. 50 cents is rare. 75 cents is unheard of.
Managers don't like to work, but they will come down on you for doing the same. And in some cases, throw their extra work on you.
Small-minded; narrow-minded management who thinks the world revolves around them and the store
If your job is cut by corporate, they will offer you part-time hours and minimum wage, despite have worked in management for more than 10 years.
Micro-management and abuse (depending on the store manager at the time).

Treat your workers with more respect. Pay them a livable wage. A twenty-five cent raise per year is a joke. They most likely are very educated and work at the store because they are having a hard time in the current economic climate. If you want to retain your best assets, treat them like you would treat your own management team.

1074 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

A lot of responsibilities - no pay

Former Employee - Receiver
    Former Employee - Receiver

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly staff, customers, and employees. Can be fun if you like books and talking to people.

Cons

Minimum wage pay, many responsibilities. I was receiving/scanning shipments, sorting books, shelving books, checking inventory, working as a cashier, helping customers find books, customer service, and answering phone calls. I also was not able to get more than 16 or 20 hours per week starting out.

Pay your workers more! ;)

Great co-workers, terrible management

Former Employee - Part Time Book Seller  in  Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved having access to a great selection of books, music, and DVDs. Great coffee and cafe, sharing my love of books with the public.

Cons

Management was absolutely horrible at the store where I worked. You also could never plan for anything on your "on-call" days, as you never knew if you had to come in to work until 5 pm. If you were even 5 minutes late calling in to see if you had to work on your on-call day, you were reprimanded. No respect for their employees.

Show some respect for your employees and the work they do. Come off of your power trip and keep your egos in check.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!