Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnobleinc.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

It's a job, not a career

Bookseller (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou'll meet some great people. Everyone out-works their paycheck and all are interested - at least - somewhat in literature and pop culture. That's why they work there. It makes work conversations fun.

ConsIt's retail. You're working weekends and late nights for less-than-great pay. Unless you work full-time, there's no benefits (they just got rid of them). And you'll learn lessons in patience and diplomacy because you're dealing with customers, who are their own special breed of 'special.'

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage so much. Stay attune to the mood of the employees. Stores are routinely understaffed for the amount of business and work that needs to be done. Late-night closings and projects at 10:00pm, on top of a full day of work, are not the way to end a day.

It's all about the attitude you bring to the job."

Bookseller (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros: Being around books all day; talking to people who have the same interests and being able to nerd out about your… Cons: The one I worked at was one of the only bookstores around so we got a lot of disgruntled customers who needed a book the… Advice to Senior Management: Train everyone on nook so that who ever comes in asking about it or has a problem, that individual can help...instead of the customer having… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

The best of the retail world.

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros: You get paid every Friday. 50% discount at the cafe. 30%… Cons: The Store manager sets the tone of expectations. Know his or her style as soon as you can. During April employee hours… Advice to Senior Management: Develop your booksellers so you can retain most of them. This can also save you money in the process of hiring new people. … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.