Cafe leader

Current Employee - Cafe Lead Server in New York, NY
Current Employee - Cafe Lead Server in New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, good co workers and management, good hours too, it is very convenient for me on e is inside my college Baruch college, the management is nice too especially the cafe manager

Cons

Small chance of growing, not very new tasks every day and not very good salary, i want to stay with the company but i do not see a lot of room to grow inside the company and they do not give employees a lot of chances to grow.

Advice to Management

Try to motivate more employees with more chance for the ones that want to stay with the company and grow there,

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. do not trust the managers

Former Employee - Cafe Lead
    Former Employee - Cafe Lead

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

there really are no pros to this company unless you like a work atmosphere that is slightly hostile, leaning towards problem making instead of problem solving, or generally like the distrust of your managers or to distrust your managers. After working there for several years I was told not to complain about being harassed in my department, lied to by me store manager about what could be done about it after I was accused by another employee of harassment, lied to by HR after I finally sent a complaint to them, and finally set up for failure and got fired because I have too much integrity to quit.

Cons

This company is a disgrace to its own set of conduct, ethics, moral, and integrity. Not only does it pay minimum wage, even though there is virtually no brick and mortar competition, their idea of leadership is anyone who has the biggest mouth and gossips about everyone else. Do not even try to call the We Listen hotline because in my experience they do not investigate and try to solve the problem. Instead they call your manager and tell them that you are a nuisance and plan on ways to make the job even worse so that you quit, or they try to set you up to fail. There is no room for promotion either. Oh, and if you buy something from the cafe they are all over you because god forbid you might be thirsty or hungry and they make you put your food in the office so it either goes stale or gets cold or in any case gets ruined.

Advice to Management

You are not so special. Anyone can do your job. Instead of making mountains out of molehills when someone makes a mistake offer to help or let it go. Don't expect someone from one department to know everything about another department either, sometimes other departments need more thorough training. If you are over the age of 65, retire so that hard working college graduates can transition into your position with some fresh ideas because the way things are going, Amazon will take over the book business.

2. Previously fun environment is now hell as company dies a slow death.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, laid back environment, variety of work in major market stores

Cons

Dismal pay, no chance for advancement, management never follows through, company is getting rid of all ft employees

Advice to Management

If Barnes and Noble wants a future, it sure seems to be going about it the wrong way. Long term employees should be valued and sought after for promotions. Often times, however, long term employees are run off and new hires who know nothing about books are brought in. There are now so few full time positions that the store can hardly be run successfully.