Bartell Drug

The Office Meets Office Space

Former Employee - Corporate Office Staff in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Corporate Office Staff in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bartell Drug

Pros

Very 70's corporate office with many middle-aged and near retirees as staff. I considered this a good thing; many have worked there for over ten years, quite a few have worked there over 25 years! Great lunch room/break room, everyone is friendly, benefits are good.

Cons

Salaries are outdated. Store cashiers (who are unionized) make several dollars more per hour than some staff accountants! In keeping with the 1970's theme, everything is paper, paper, paper. Transfers between stores and many accounting forms and invoices are actually handwritten in triplicate! They've got a huge accounting department pounding out numbers on ten-key adding machines all day; work that could be done by, say, ONE well programmed computer. Interesting, to say the least...

It's 2011. While some of the practices made me laugh, I have to say that George Bartell is a nice man, and I think he cares about his company, his employees, and his family's legacy. While the salary was less than I was used to making, I enjoyed the overall workplace environment.

43 Other Employee Reviews for Bartell Drug (View Most Recent)

Bartell's is Blah Blah

Former Employee - Cashier/Photo Clerk/Second Assistant/Pharmacy Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bartell Drug

Pros

The coworkers are top notch, usually. They truly seek friendly people to staff their stores. There is room for adavancement, if you're lucky to have a store manager that likes you enough to go to bat for you, and they paid me to take their Pharmacy Technician program and becomed licensed.

Cons

It's what YOU make of it, the benefits are horrible, there is no profit sharing or true retirement plan, unless you're a pharmacist, and then George Bartell will allow you to invest in his real estate holdings and such.....very very old school company with policies that match. Employee reviews come once a year and so do the tiny raises.....if at all.

Sell to CVS and get it over with....you're not putting what you should be into your employees benefits packages or investing in new technology....let someone else take the stores to the level of profitability they could be at.

loved the job, worked hard

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bartell Drug

Pros

Intimate and personal attention that is strived for. Common goal... which is quality product and award winning customer service.

Cons

The fact that the cookie cutter company is scared of too much change, a very simple and direct ideal environment can quickly take a turn for the worst simply by for instance a higher up employee holding a grudge.

Try to streamline ways that the company environment is portrayed and actually is. More communication for the overall company well being. A better system of inter store communication. Not so many open policies try to more closely relate the every day employee and the overall well being of the company and management.

There are newer employer reviews for Bartell Drug