There are newer employer reviews for Bass Pro Shops

Bass Pro Shops-a chaotic attempt at a wonderful idea.

Former Employee - Assistant Merchant/Buyer  in  Springfield, MO
Former Employee - Assistant Merchant/Buyer in Springfield, MO

I worked at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

If you are an avid outdoorsman/outdoorswoman then you will be able to make connections throughout the industry that will land you in some of the most impressive hunting and fishing adventures that you can think of. The discounts at retail are also very impressive at 40% off of proprietary brands and 15% off of Major brands(exceptions do apply). The Corporate office also houses a great cafeteria and a gym.

Cons

Corporate Office---Being a private company, there are no true "retirement" options other than your 401k. Also, the Upper/Senior management does not communicate with their employees effectively. Upper management does not have a concept of deadlines. It is typical that projects are not started until upper management finalizes details two to three months past the initial deadline which creates havoc in the merchandising, marketing, and creative departments. This also creates days in which you will not be able to finish said projects within the expected deadline and therefore will find yourself working from home, going in early, staying late, and canceling vacation days due to nothing more than upper managements lack of planning. The "Political Game" is a total nightmare. If you are not in the "click" then divide the communication that you expect to receive in half. You will also see people abusing privileges simply because they are personally close to upper management. Training is non-existent. You will be thrown into the deep end and expected to keep your head above water. Last but not least, if you want bonus potential, it is virtually non-existent.

If a deadline is set by a department, it should be upheld at all costs. If Senior management would look at the added expenses created by not meeting deadlines, payroll would not be as much of an issue in the current economy. Also, Senior management should not allow themselves to be in a situation where friendships affect job performances. I'm not saying they cannot be friends, but at work, it should strictly be business. Training should be a major focus, but I cannot stress the importance of communication enough.

203 Other Employee Reviews for Bass Pro Shops (View Most Recent)

Bass Pro LP

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Agent  in  Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

The average employees are good people.

Cons

Senior management is detached from the stores. In two years at Bass Pro I rarely ever saw some one from the corperate office come into the store. When they did it was most often to fire a store level manager, and never to see if the store was running smothly.

I would take a much closer look at how you are running your company. Maybe yall should stop taking fishing trips and come see how your ineffective and often costly policys are acually working out.

Create a better working team in the office.

Former Employee - Merch/buyer Assistant  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Merch/buyer Assistant in Springfield, MO

I worked at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

I spent over 10 years with them starting from the store to the Corp Office the best thing that it did for me is open doors for other jobs down the road. I got to know a lot of people in the industry from this job, and you did get to field test some of the products. The trips where a perk of this job and the free gear that you got.

Cons

Time lines where never met because communication from upper managment to Merch Dept was never communcated in a timely manner. The "office politics" where very bad if you where not in the Click well then you could forget about it. The pay structure made no sense at all if there was even a structure to the pay, the benefits where the worst i have ever seen in a company they where always changing and seemed to always get worse.

The working area when i left was getting bad cubes where so small you could touch the walls on both sides of your area, and the mood in the office was bad everyone was sick of all the finger pointing back at Merch dept saying we where not getting things done when we wouldn't get the information till 3 weeks after it should have been turned in.

The communication from the Corp office to the stores was also something that was a work in process but was getting a little better

Create some incentive for people to work there the pay is not good so what about some kind of bonus program? Give the people some reason to want to come in every day and create the branded products and push the branded products, i created a lot of branded products when i was there from the packageing, to the product to placeing them in the books and creating the orders, and those products are still going strong today, at least a pat on the back would have been nice LOL

There are newer employer reviews for Bass Pro Shops

Worked for Bass Pro Shops? Contribute to the Community!