Bass Pro Shops

www.basspro.com

Bass Pro Shops-a chaotic attempt at a wonderful idea.

Assistant Merchant/Buyer (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsIf you are an avid outdoorsman/outdoorswoman then you will be able to make connections throughout the industry that will land you in some of the most impressive hunting and fishing adventures that you can think of. The discounts at retail are also very impressive at 40% off of proprietary brands and 15% off of Major brands(exceptions do apply). The Corporate office also houses a great cafeteria and a gym.

ConsCorporate Office---Being a private company, there are no true "retirement" options other than your 401k. Also, the Upper/Senior management does not communicate with their employees effectively. Upper management does not have a concept of deadlines. It is typical that projects are not started until upper management finalizes details two to three months past the initial deadline which creates havoc in the merchandising, marketing, and creative departments. This also creates days in which you will not be able to finish said projects within the expected deadline and therefore will find yourself working from home, going in early, staying late, and canceling vacation days due to nothing more than upper managements lack of planning. The "Political Game" is a total nightmare. If you are not in the "click" then divide the communication that you expect to receive in half. You will also see people abusing privileges simply because they are personally close to upper management. Training is non-existent. You will be thrown into the deep end and expected to keep your head above water. Last but not least, if you want bonus potential, it is virtually non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a deadline is set by a department, it should be upheld at all costs. If Senior management would look at the added expenses created by not meeting deadlines, payroll would not be as much of an issue in the current economy. Also, Senior management should not allow themselves to be in a situation where friendships affect job performances. I'm not saying they cannot be friends, but at work, it should strictly be business. Training should be a major focus, but I cannot stress the importance of communication enough.

Create a better working team in the office.

Merch/buyer Assistant (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

I worked at Bass Pro Shops

Pros: I spent over 10 years with them starting from the store to the Corp Office the best thing that it did for me is open… Cons: Time lines where never met because communication from upper managment to Merch Dept was never communcated in a timely manner. The "office politics" where… Advice to Senior Management: Create some incentive for people to work there the pay is not good so what about some kind of bonus program? Give the people… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Bass Pro LP

Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros: The average employees are good people. Cons: Senior management is detached from the stores. In two years at Bass Pro I rarely ever saw some one from the corperate office come… Advice to Senior Management: I would take a much closer look at how you are running your company. Maybe yall should… More

There are newer reviews on Bass Pro Shops.

Worked for Bass Pro Shops? Contribute to the Community!