There are newer employer reviews for Bath & Body Works

Great job if you're single, don't want to see your family on xmas, and have no life or plans! :)

Current Employee - Co-Manager
Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Bath & Body Works

Pros

-Working at Bath and Body Works is a fun, friendly upbeat environment
-store manager and DM are open to communication and suggestions and always are there to answer questions
-Great flexibility with scheduling as long as you know well in advance( unless you are part of the management team)
-40% discount for SM and CM at Bath and Body, Victoria's Secret, White Barn, etc.
-20% - 30% discount for associates depending on length of employment
-samples of select items given once in awhile, TONS of promotional contests and drawings to win product (associate eligibility only on most contests -- great for store morale though!)
-Great place to work if you are looking for a part time job while in college or to get out of the house if you're a stay at home mom or retiree and are only wanting to work a couple times a week (shifts run from 3-5 hours and you will usually only get 1-3 per week depending.)
- great room for advancement within the store to a sales leadership position
- access to seeing semi-annual sale items in advance

Cons

-Chaotic work atmosphere most of the time due to high traffic of customers,
-Lots of black out dates due to the high traffic at holiday -- more than any other retail store I've worked at
-Communication from top of company down is inefficient... email is recieved on a daily basis in the morning from HQ with CONSTANT changes. Sales change almost daily which is normal and to be expected, but store floorset decisions get made in advance,as well as decisions applying to other aspects of the business and then get changed last minute. This happens on an almost daily basis it seems.
-From an associate perspective, it is not a job that will pay the rent, but it's fun and easy work
-From a management perspective, be prepared for a TON of hard work. It is an expectation to excell in what you do at Bath and Body, and at times this is difficult because you will be given an overwhelming amount of work to do with little preparation and a short time to accomplish it (this doesn't vary from store to store, it is corporate directed)
-scheduling system is automated, but has to be edited by the SM or CM due to MAJOR flaws in the system, also accessing the system from home may give you different shifts than what it actually is
- Full-time SM and CMs have set shifts they are required to work and certain days off, this can be difficult if you're needing time off
- Management at the corporate level will schedule last minute floorset changes with little regard for associates (ex. Christmas Eve Floorset --- after mall is closed early for the holiday so employees can be with family, as well as one last Easter when the mall was closed) Upper management at the store level has little to no flexibility with scheduling as stringent directions are given that floorset must be performed at that specific time.
- associates are left dangling frequently and uncertain of their hours due to on-call shifts and required cutting/ and or lengthening of shifts based on business of store (but due to changes there are often hours to be easily picked up if one doesn't mind getting asked last minute)
- as with any other retail job, expect to put up with pain- in- a$$ customers -- customers who don't have internet and leave their house once a year to buy lotion will yell at you because their favorite scent was discontinued 5 years ago and they just now realized it. And it will be your fault that they have not entered to 21st century and bought a computer, clearly.

I love working for Bath and Body, but management at the corporate level needs to improve their consideration for in-store management and sales associates. It's hard to keep up morale in a store when last minute floorset changes occur and get scheduled on holidays. It's expected for there to be changes when sales get rescheduled, etc. and that is completely understandable, but a floorset on Christmas Eve? Really? I feel like I work at walmart sometimes instead of Bath and Body.

Get organized at the corporate level. Being a manager in this store is overwhelming with all the last minute tasks and decisions. Make up your mind before the last minute and get on the same page! 90% of the time I feel like mom told me to bring a turkey to Christmas dinner, and then let me know after it was cooked that I needed to bring a ham instead... and it needs to be ready in an hour.

Although there was an increase in "goodies" and promotional extras this holiday for associates(which is awesome!), it has been difficult to balance in a smaller store our duties on the sales floor, ensuring customers are fully given our full attention, maintaining our standards we have set in store to exceed sales plan, managing the million tasks and changes that come through store mail every day and sometimes in the middle of the day, and figuring out of a morning(or stepping off the floor where we are primarily needed to figure) who worked during the highest segment, etc. individual prizes we can give without further analyzing our reports have been awesome and so has food and candy thank you!

1036 Other Employee Reviews for Bath & Body Works (View Most Recent)

Do you like being harassed by sales staff when you shop? If so, this is the job for you.

Current Employee - Sale Associate
    Current Employee - Sale Associate

I have been working at Bath & Body Works

Pros

25% off employee discount for Limited Brands

Cons

I can't speak for the Body store, since I worked in the Home Fragrance (Candles, wallflowers, etc.).

Pay for regular sales staff is .10 over min. wage.

When I applyed for the job, I was told I would probably get 15-25hrs/week. 2 months in, the most I've ever had is 15 hrs, with most weeks only 6 hrs, and an additional 3 hrs "on call" which you are EXPECTED to be available for. They only put us on for 3 hr shifts at a time too!

Our home fragrance store just opened and is not doing nearly as good in sales as they had hoped, so they have been giving mngt most hours and the rest of the sales staff just 3-9hrs/week! They are so concerned about conversion (trying to get 40% of the customers that walk in to buy) and units per transaction (adding on various crap at the till) that you are EXPECTED to hound every single customer that walks in the door! If you don't, expect your manager to reprimand/make suggestions/feed lines to you through your headset to MAKE you hound that customer to buy SOMETHING.

Then you have to "demo" products, pretty much shoving a candle in a customers face. If you don't, and your manager sees you, they start barking at you through the headset saying "Did you give that customer a demo? Why not?" You are expected to fill in a "goal" sheet at the start of every shift and "chat-in" with a manager to let them know how you plan to puch their crap on customers that day. Then you have to "chat-out" at the end of your shift to discuss if you met your sales/demo goals, etc.

This is most definatly a SALES job, not a CUSTOMER SERVICE one. I can't continue to work at a place where I:
     a) don't believe in the products I'm selling (way too expensive, and Wallflowers only work when you first plug them in, then they don't smell like anything at all and quite honestly, their candles aren't that great for the price).
    b)Can't stand their sales tactics.

Seriously, I'd rather be flipping burgers for min. wage.

Stop pushing your employees to sell so much. Customers do not like to be pressured into sales. If you are expected to be a sales person, you should be paying employees commission!

Disgraceful treatment of employees- BBW's Dirty Little Secret

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bath & Body Works

Pros

Appears to be a company one would be proud to work for, decent products, well groomed articulate employees and co-workers

Cons

You are "hired" for a "job" that you will never have, unless you consider a 3 hour a week job , a "job", you should still consider yourself "unemployed". You will be scheduled for 10-20 hours a week as a call-in. That means you are xpected to be available to the company to work and call-in daily, one hour before your shift to see if they "need you" (They "need you" once in every 50 call-ins) This means you will not work, will not be paid, but will be expected to be available for work that doesn't exist. You will be searched each and every time you leave the store- even in front of customers- this is the epitome of a tasteless, disgraceful and shameful corporate policy- it is humiliating and sends a message to customers- "we do not trust our own employees perhaps you shouldn't either". You will be "needed" for floorsets which are done after hours. This is a merchandiser job. You will be paid minimum wage. The industry standard is 10-11$ per hour, your willingness to do this job for minimum wage keeps the company from subcontracting this work to real merchandisers and/or paying you what you are worth. You will be willing to do this work because these are the only decent amount of hours you will recieve upon hire. Even if you work for the company for two years you will be treated as a "day 1" hire, you will not recieve more hours or more pay. The company continuously hires "3-15 hour a week" employees, even though good experienced workers want and deserve more hours. You will be reviewed. You are a hard working and committed employee doing a bang up job of selling and merchandising yet you will be given a mediocre" review" which is predetermined- meaning managers can not and are not allowed to give a top review- it is prohibited- (that would require a much deserved pay raise and perhaps more hours.) You will spend your meager paycheck on the products you promote because hey you are so good and convincing a salesperson you have sold yourself enough merchandise to cover your paycheck- brilliant. The company keeps track of your purchases- they know whose "paycheck" is a "wash"- i suspect your hours are reduced accordingly (ie. if you aren't buying their stuff you're not getting any hours- just a suspicion I can't actually confirm) You have a 30% discount . This is a joke. It only applies to regular priced merchandise and cannot be combined with coupons or sales prices- example, hand soap 3 for $10, you get to pick: take the sale price (3/10) or use your "discount" off of the regular price (3 x $5= 15 less 30% = $10.50!, I think this is an IQ test, if you use your discount you are an idiot)... It is a shame that a company that should be one of the best American companies to work for is one of the worst.

Treat your employees as you, yourself would like to be treated. Replace disgraceful, policy with visionary leadership, Give Americans a decent job they can be proud to have- even part-time. Remember your employees are customers (former, current, future) and I doubt they remain "loyal" after discovering how badly employees are taken advantage of and how virulent sales tactics and goals and reviews scare managers into behaving badly.

There are newer employer reviews for Bath & Body Works