Battelle Memorial
www.battelle.org Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Historically good, but rapidly declining.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

ProsLike many large companies, experiences will vary. I've worked in product lines and support organizations and by and large had intelligent, strategic and thoughtful supervisors and meaningful, challenging work. The technical skills of many of our staff are really outstanding. In addition, if personal crisis strikes you while you work at Battelle, you will find many willing to assist you. I've enjoyed my time here very much.

ConsRecent hires at just below the C-level have been troubling. In general, the trend seems to be toward "strong" personalities who are not good listeners or collaborators-in some cases, one might even use the word bullies. Professional courtesy in our culture has taken a strong hit. These hires are generally on the support side, but I expect there to be negative impacts to the product lines as a result as we lose more staff as a result. While our new values documents talk about respect as a Battelle value, there is a large contingency at the senior leadership level that are not following that in any way.

In addition, we're not quick moving. That's not because staff are resistant to change, it's our risk averse culture based on some of the security requirements of our kind of work. When good change is possible, you'll find that staff embrace it.

While my experience has been good, there are many who have suffered from the "sink or swim" culture. If you can build a network yourself, you should be alright. But if you want a managed mentoring program, you may need to look elsewhere or at least pick your manager carefully.

Benefits are decreasing as part of cost cutting. They aren't horrible now--just market competitive, where we used to be better than average.

Advice to Senior ManagementA successful executive committee must process information regardless of the matter in which its delivered. Volume, drama, pretty suits, slick haircuts and superficial factors don't mean the information is right or better. Right now, the ex comm needs to do better due diligence on the pitches they are being sold: both from internal _and_ external sources. Content content content. If it sounds to good to be true, than it is.

In addition, don't undermine the efforts of those of us trying to save the money you've asked us to save. Lead by example.

Tough Business Environment for Battelle: New Competitors in a Shrinking Market while Shouldering High Labor Wrap Rates

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros: Great environment for working easily and closely with great technical people. Innovation is… Cons: Business processes, while currently being revised, are still clunky at best. Lawyers, corporate, and business offices still not flexible and responsive. High laboratory… Advice to Senior Management: Move more quickly on making your labor costs competitive. Learn… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A cash cow that is a door opener

Senior Research Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros: The connections that can be made and the doors that can be opened by being employed… Cons: There is a large corporate disconnect between the general staff and the senior administration. Battelle used to have high job security, but the economy has… Advice to Senior Management: Start discussions with the HR department to update the payscales so they're more competitive with… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Battelle Memorial.

Worked for Battelle Memorial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Battelle Memorial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Battelle Memorial CEO Jeff Wadsworth. All reviews posted anonymously by Battelle Memorial employees.