Battelle Memorial

www.battelle.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Battelle Memorial

Historically good, but rapidly declining.

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros

Like many large companies, experiences will vary. I've worked in product lines and support organizations and by and large had intelligent, strategic and thoughtful supervisors and meaningful, challenging work. The technical skills of many of our staff are really outstanding. In addition, if personal crisis strikes you while you work at Battelle, you will find many willing to assist you. I've enjoyed my time here very much.

Cons

Recent hires at just below the C-level have been troubling. In general, the trend seems to be toward "strong" personalities who are not good listeners or collaborators-in some cases, one might even use the word bullies. Professional courtesy in our culture has taken a strong hit. These hires are generally on the support side, but I expect there to be negative impacts to the product lines as a result as we lose more staff as a result. While our new values documents talk about respect as a Battelle value, there is a large contingency at the senior leadership level that are not following that in any way.

In addition, we're not quick moving. That's not because staff are resistant to change, it's our risk averse culture based on some of the security requirements of our kind of work. When good change is possible, you'll find that staff embrace it.

While my experience has been good, there are many who have suffered from the "sink or swim" culture. If you can build a network yourself, you should be alright. But if you want a managed mentoring program, you may need to look elsewhere or at least pick your manager carefully.

Benefits are decreasing as part of cost cutting. They aren't horrible now--just market competitive, where we used to be better than average.

A successful executive committee must process information regardless of the matter in which its delivered. Volume, drama, pretty suits, slick haircuts and superficial factors don't mean the information is right or better. Right now, the ex comm needs to do better due diligence on the pitches they are being sold: both from internal _and_ external sources. Content content content. If it sounds to good to be true, than it is.

In addition, don't undermine the efforts of those of us trying to save the money you've asked us to save. Lead by example.

198 Other Employee Reviews for Battelle Memorial (View Most Recent)

Tough Business Environment for Battelle: New Competitors in a Shrinking Market while Shouldering High Labor Wrap Rates

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros

Great environment for working easily and closely with great technical people. Innovation is encouraged and rewarded. Excellent technical depth and teaming possibilities in several niche areas.

Cons

Business processes, while currently being revised, are still clunky at best. Lawyers, corporate, and business offices still not flexible and responsive. High laboratory costs passed to clients in extremely high labor rates, making Battelle technical staff too expensive and so non-competitive when bidding against R&D contractors without these overhead burdens. This is being addressed by management, but at a glacial pace.

Move more quickly on making your labor costs competitive. Learn how to accept risk without a difficult and time-consuming internal review process.

OK place to work.

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros

benefits, nice people, creativity, nice facilities, sick leave policy, variety of project work, networking, multiple office locations, charitable donations and activities

Cons

buddy system, people, lack of loyalty, poor feedback from management, outsourcing, complainers, vacation accrual system, poor communication between business units

Provide proper training to new staff members. Actively work to retain employees and implement meaningful career development programs. Be fair to all employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Battelle Memorial