Battle Creek VA Medical Center

www.battlecreek.va.gov
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Battle Creek VA Medical Center

As a general pharmacy resident, VALB provides a good combination of inpatient and ambulatory experiences

I have been working at Battle Creek VA Medical Center

Pros

Structured, intensive rotations that concentrate on teaching the pharmacy resident to be self-independent and resourceful. The program also features experienced pharmacists who excel in their specialized area of practice.

Cons

Training experience at the beginning of the program was not structured; however the management took the advice of the residents and created a set of rubrics and goals for all incoming pharmacy residents

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Program Support Specialist

I have been working at Battle Creek VA Medical Center

Pros

Great way to test your communication skills with a variety of patients

Cons

Nothing to complain about for now

2. Being a physician in the VA combines strong gratification with intense frustration.

I worked at Battle Creek VA Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is gratifying to work with veterans. In doing so I felt I was providing medical care to those who needed it. Also, I felt I was helping with my country's defense, less directly than actually serving in the military but helping nonetheless. In addition, the VA medical center where I worked had reasonably modern equipment, though some areas were lacking or outdated. There was a cadre of other physicians in various specialties with whom to interact. For the most part, they were good competent doctors. Some weren't, but I do not think the percentage of incompetents was higher than elsewhere. There are a lot of supporting staff. Many of them are quite good. Employment and retirement benefits are good.

Cons

In some cases necessary facilities were lacking. In such cases the bureaucracy made it hard to correct deficits. Despite having employees who were generally competent, there were some amazingly incompetent and lazy individuals embedded in the system. These people knew how to do just enough so that they could never be fired. This was true for the doctors as well as the other employees. The physicians' salarly schedule is supposed to reflect "market rates" but it really does not. My specialty, neurology, is rated with a ceiling that is no more than about 75% of what a graduating resident can get as his/her first job in the private sector. If you are at a VA that is part of an academic center, then the academic opportunities may compensate for the low pay. I felt that the positives outweighed the negatives for about 2 years. Then I stayed eight years more due to stubborness (maybe you could call it dedication) and guilt feeling about leaving. But finally I could not stand the overall package.

Advice to Management

The VA is a pretty good place for doctors who 1) feel a mission to help veterans and/or 2) find certain specific academic/research opportunities there. But there are a number of negative factors, such as I have mentioned above, that might be corrected.