Bausch & Lomb

Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Bausch & Lomb

Pros

Great pay and benefits exceed other companies.

Cons

Local management in Lynchburg is horrible!

Change management at Lynchburg VA facility.

135 Other Employee Reviews for Bausch & Lomb (View Most Recent)

Company with a historic past and forgettable present

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bausch & Lomb

Pros

401k and health benefits were decent however medical plans were extremely high. Small company with great name recognition; easy to take on and learn many different skills than other places. The people were mostly of high caliber about 5-10 years ago, but most of the talented employees have left. Very good work/life balance and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Where to begin, too many cons to fit in this box.........upper management at the executive level has been completely useless for the past 15+ years. Zarella was the beginning of the end, he was more worried about his 35 million golden parachute after running the company literally into bankruptcy and making sure his hotel rooms had 600 thread count sheets then about the success of the company or employees. Tampa facility continuously outperformed other sites in the company, but layoffs were a constant in Tampa to save jobs in Rochester. Center of Excellence in Rochester is a total sham. I went there numerous times and saw the utter incompetence and waste of valuable resources (Goodman facility is ALL overhead with no contribution to the bottom line). Corporate led projects were constantly fed money with NO progress whatsoever. There was no accountability. High performers were treated the same as mediocre employees. Too many mid and senior level managers for a company of that size. The organization chart looked like an inverted evolutionary tree. The business environment was completely run by politics and had nothing to do with talent and innovation. Employees are underpaid and under respected with no opportunities for advancement within the company. The people running the Tampa facility run it with an "iron fist" and it amazes me how their continual incompetence is continuously tolerated and rewarded. I have never seen so many talented employees in one place leave in a matter of a few years time. For the Tampa area, its the best game in town if you're in pharma. The only reason people stay there is because there are no repercussions for mediocre work and they like living in Tampa. If another decent company opened a facility nearby there would be a mass exodus of people clawing over one another to escape. If youre reading this, there IS life outside of B+L. A good employer can be so rewarding and this doesnt have to be sacrificed to live in a place like Tampa. Leaving there was the best thing I EVER did for my career and my career has taken off since leaving. No place is perfect by any means, but that place sucks the life out of your veins!

I don't think any advice would undo the mess that's been created there. B+L was once a proud and historic company, now reduced to a has-been living on it's past accolades in a little over 10 years. You cannot cost-cut your way to prosperity. Sure, it helps the bottom line for Warburg Pincus, but the truly great and successful companies innovate and redefine their market, not cost-cut and chase after every low margin product. There is a reason other companies aren't chasing the markets you're in. They've figured out that the products are a waste of money and resources with little to no ROI. If I were Brent Saunders and Fred Hassan, I would stop hiring people that I worked wih at my previous company (ie - Gerald Ostrov) and promote from within if there is any talent left to promote from. If there isn't, I would hire talented people from outside the company from other industry leading organizations and have them start peeling back the layers and get rid of all of the incompetent low, mid and senior level management. Foster what little internal employee talent you have left, and you will win back the morale of the employees. Don't preach what you can't deliver. All of your predecessors said the same thing and accomplished none of it.........innovation and quality are two things sorely lacking at every level in your company. Make something of this proud and historic company, don't suck it dry for millions of dollars in salary for your own benefit like your predecessors, make it something to be proud of again. I have a lot of close friends that still work there and I feel sorry for them because I remember what it was like to go there every day, with zero hope and little motivation. I wish the company would have given them and myself more career opportunities, but I finally realized B+L was holding my career back and the only way to benefit was to leave for other opportunities. I didn't want to leave, but when you're not given any choice, you have to come to the realization that leaving was the only choice. I haven't looked back since, but still miss the close relationships I made while working there.

Career Developing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Bausch & Lomb

Pros

Learned needed skills to develop career.

Cons

Very poor upper management with regard to how promotions are given and how staff members are assisnged to various departments.

Listen to staff members and do not allow management to treat staff in ways that they would not want to be treated.

There are newer employer reviews for Bausch & Lomb