Medical products division sucks on all levels. The management shows favoritism to men.

Former Employee - Quality Lab Associate II  in  Round Lake, IL
Former Employee - Quality Lab Associate II in Round Lake, IL

I worked at Baxter

Pros

To get entry level experience in working with a variety of pharmaceutical products and instruments.

Cons

The management displays favoritism to its employees. The raises are unfair. the chances of moving into a new division is slim to none. The management blocks everyone from moving to other divisions in baxter, so there is no room to grow within the company.

The leadership at Baxter is so political. It is a shame that qualified individuals can not experience professional growth and development.

Other Reviews for Baxter

Educational

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Baxter

Pros

I learned a lot while I was at Baxter, both how to do things and not to do things. I think that it was a great stepping stone in my career, but not a company to grow with long term.

Cons

If you are not part of their Finance Development Program, your interviews for promotions will be courtesy only.

Quality Department at Marion is only for Short Timers.

Current Employee - Engineer I  in  Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Marion, NC

I have been working at Baxter

Pros

- The people are excellent. You will never feel like someone will backstab you, and everyone is eager to lend a hand.
    - There is a lot of established Lean/6 Sigma manufacturing in a massive facility; gives great experience to model for manufacturing excellence.
    - If you're smart and capable it will be recognized (not outwardly though) and management will not hesitate to throw the big important projects at you.

Cons

- The pay is on the lower end of industry standards. On top of this, addition of pay is slow (~3%/year) and there are no bonuses. That is until you reach the higher tiers of ranking, they get a lot of bonuses.
    - The advancement opportunities within the Marion site is non-existent, at least within the quality department. Expect to need to leave the company, or transfer to another site for advancement in career and any significant increase to pay.
    - Upper management got their through brown-nosing, and as such expect to be brown nosed.
    - As an engineer, the innovation, design, and critical thinking during projects and day to day work was extremely lacking. Most of the job was pushing paper around to accomplish simple menial tasks.
    - Almost no feedback to employees, ever. On that same note, almost no request for improvement opportunities from management.

HR needs to seriously reconsider their compensation strategy if they hope to hire and retain top talent. The economy is slowly coming back, and soon they won't be able to take advantage of the desperation of bright young talent.

Some managers are in their position solely through kissing feet, it makes for apathetic and incompetent leadership in some departments. While completely getting rid of this is impossible, do NOT have your young new talent come in reporting to these guys. It drowns their fire, and stifles all motivation.

There are newer employer reviews for Baxter.

Worked for Baxter? Contribute to the Community!