Bay Area News Group
info.bayareanewsgroup.com San Jose, CA 500 to 999 Employees

I can't wait to get out of this place.

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood original investigative stories. Many improvements on managerial and technological training. Attempts to keep up with technology. Great recent web redesign. Good system set up to deal with breaking news. Good opportunities for advancement. Very flexible with training opportunities outside the organization. Good flexibility for work-life balance. Basic benefits like health insurance still exist. For some time, they had a wellness committee that seemed very focused on improving employees' lives.

ConsDecreasing oversight of editing process, more reliance on wire services. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like the KTVU Asiana pilot names happened on our websites. Not as much of a "it's better to be right than first" attitude as I would like to see. Despite training improvements, they are still lacking on some of the basics -- for example, not nearly enough training on ethical issues of photo use. Some editorials seem to be based on what other media report without independent examination of the facts. They try to keep up with technology by having iPad, iPhone and Android apps, but none of them are very well done. Lots of layoffs and a high voluntary turnover rate. Lots of benefits have disappeared -- 401(k) matching, gym membership discounts, public transportation discounts. Wellness committee seems to have disappeared.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've lost so many good employees. Make this a place where they want to work forever so that you don't get stuck with a bunch of inexperienced people. You spend a lot of time focusing on the future in terms of technology but not enough of the future in terms of having a strong staff.

Winds of change

Sales (Former Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Mid level managment is hands on, supportive and responsive. There are multiple products to sell which allows reps… Cons: Constant change and unclear direction coming from the leadership group. Offices outside of the SJ flagship office are rarely visited by upper managment. Many… Advice to Senior Management: Be clear and believe in your strategies to grow the company. Make sure all your employees see you. Dont… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

News Industry is in major decline

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good people, Work life balance Cons: Bad Management, Bad Pay, No communication Advice to Senior Management: Move to online quicker, get rid of dinosaurs who are old-fashioned… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Bay Area News Group.

Worked for Bay Area News Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bay Area News Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bay Area News Group CEO Sharon Ryan. All reviews posted anonymously by Bay Area News Group employees.