There are newer employer reviews for Bayer AG

Great place to learn about the industry

Current Employee - Intern in Baytown, TX
Current Employee - Intern in Baytown, TX

Pros

The internship program at the Baytown site is well-organized and geared towards educating the students. Supervisors will introduce interns to varied aspects of a chemical process through small projects covering basic unit ops - as is expected - and offer the expertise of senior engineers when the assignments turn hard. Activities, like dinners out and Astros games, are a nice reprieve from the drab Baytown surroundings as well as a chance to meet interns working in other units. The city of Baytown is a typical run-down oil town, and while there isn't much to do except suffer in the summer heat, it is inexpensive.

Cons

It's hard to stay busy at work for a number of reasons: managers are afraid of giving too much responsibility or assignments that may not have been covered in school, they're hesitant to bring 3-month hires up to speed on ongoing projects, and they don't want to thrust us in existing groups for fear that, if we don't work out, they'll be responsible. I haven't interned in other facilities, so it's unknown whether the Baytown plant is unique in this regard. At the end of summer, there's a mandatory presentation summarizing our contributions to the company. These two downsides do not go well together.

Advice to Management

I haven't met senior management and I haven't worked here long enough to form an opinion.

Other Employee Reviews for Bayer AG

1. German way or no way

Current Employee - Middle Management in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bayer AG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are paid well. Peers and colleagues are great allies.

Cons

Management asks for opinion, but does what they want in the end. They don't encourage nor recognize creativity if not introduced by Germany. Many service employees are treated like school children--no trust nor work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Be accountable and trust employees. Incorporate a better work-life balance (walk the talk). Embrace employees' ideas, learn what would engage employees and have a better reward and recognition program in place that is transparent and fair.

2. Internship

Pros

Great place to learn and grow

Cons

None worth mentioning at this point