There are newer employer reviews for Baylor Health Care System

Professional executive experience coaching and mentor employees

Former Employee - Director Or Professional Services  in  Plano, TX
Former Employee - Director Or Professional Services in Plano, TX

I worked at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Magnet Status
Increase Community Awareness
Complete Masters in Conflict Resolution

Cons

Competition with hospital on same acerage, Challenging reimbursement Medicare issues,

Upper management understood the culter and branding and used strategy to succeed

86 Other Employee Reviews for Baylor Health Care System (View Most Recent)

Stronger than ever, leading the way health care systems will be / function in the 21st century

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1.) Caring employees
    2.) Visionary leadership
    3.) Implementing a just culture
    4.) Utilizing innovative techniques and methodology to achieve quality care (e.g. lean, human factors, data driven healthcare, etc)
    5.) Priority on a work / life balance
    6.) Large organization with room for both lateral and upward movement
    7.) Merger with Scott&White demonstrates a focus on the future
    8.) Restructuring the system to be able to thrive in the new model of healthcare

Cons

1.) Corporate structure (both on the healthcare side and corporate side) are varying, the ability for employees to have a clear path to advancement varies
    2.) Buildings, offices, conference rooms, etc are either (1) incredibly nice or (2) in rough shape depending on where you are located
    3.) Just culture is a hot topic, and Baylor is achieving movement toward that goal, but isn't there just yet
    4.) Like all healthcare systems in today's world, staffing is an issue

1.) Focus on adequate staffing
    2.) Remodel conference rooms, offices, and lobbies to at least meet a minimum standard. Some locations are unbelievably beautiful and some are very tacky
    3.) Focus more on creating a pathway for successful, visionary employees to move up within the company so they stay at Baylor instead of looking for new opportunities

Great the first few years, very oppressive the last few years

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Garland, TX

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The only reason I stay is because of my awesome coworkers. We have to depend on each other, or else we would all suffer. Because of poor staffing and uncaring supervisors/director, if our coworkers didn't have each others' backs, a lot of patients could potentially suffer irreparable harm or death. Staff generally cares about the job they do and the people they serve, and believe they make a difference to those we serve.

Cons

1. Pay is marginal.
    2. Management is abysmal. They rule with rudeness, retaliatory efforts, and are very disrespectful to the staff. This has caused a huge turnover. Morale is very poor. VERY poor.
    3. Nearly every shift is understaffed. One particular nursing position is responsible for approximately 6 patients upwards of 15 or more. Another position is responsible for up to 11 patients. Management makes sure that you never have an empty bed, and they don't care to hear about acuity. Since the paramedics/techs aren't allowed to do much more than stock, transport, and change linens, that means the nurse has to do all interventions. Oftentimes, there is only one tech in the whole department, so their duties become yours anyways. They are worked to death and often quit.
    4. Staff works under the constant threat of termination. Just to prove a point, the director recently fired 3 very productive and well-liked staff members in one week.
    5. High turnover due to management. I think in the last year, maybe 10 FT nurses and techs have transferred to other hospitals or departments specifically because of the issues related to management behavior. Besides myself, I know of 4 other nurses on my shift that are looking for jobs elsewhere, and we are of the few nurses left in the department with more than 5 years of experience. How scary is that for a critical patient?

Learn how to treat employees with the kindness and generosity you expect us to give to our patients, and leave your personal feelings for them at home. Don't yell at us like we are trash. Practice what you preach. Learn what is going on in your department, instead of lurking around corners trying to catch us doing something wrong so that you can write us up. Get out from behind your desk and see what real nursing is like. Oh, that's right- you can't actually "do" my job, you can only "tell" me how to do it.

There are newer employer reviews for Baylor Health Care System

Worked for Baylor Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!