There are newer employer reviews for Baylor Health Care System

Analyst

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Baylor Health Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty nice coworkers. The benefits are good for a non-profit. Openness to personal issues. All you really need to do is come to work and do your job. Potential for longevity and a bit of every any field within the company if you decide to change job fields.

Cons

No room for advancement in most departments. Someone has to leave and they usually do not promote from within. They are more likely to outsource to contractors or bring in their friends that do not have the job skills. Office politics rules here as within any other large organization. HR is not there to help the employees at all. The pay is not as good as other employers. The raises are based on performance, but they tend set team or group goals so you will not be able to get the best raise. Still not cost of living at any rate.

Listen to your employees. Treat them as adults and you would not have such a high turnover. Do not yell at them like they are children. Respect goes a long way. Instead of hiring your friends from outside the company, promote from within and learn how to pay a compliment to those it is due. Employees there for more than a year seem to be treated as work horses and overlooked because they are not brown nosers. It makes them not want to work for someone who would rather have "yes men/women" instead of loyal, hard working employees.

reviews filtered by

Professional executive experience coaching and mentor employees

Former Employee - Director Or Professional Services in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Director Or Professional Services in Plano, TX

I worked at Baylor Health Care System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Magnet Status
    Increase Community Awareness
    Complete Masters in Conflict Resolution

Cons

Competition with hospital on same acerage, Challenging reimbursement Medicare issues,

Upper management understood the culter and branding and used strategy to succeed

Great the first few years, very oppressive the last few years

Current Employee - Staff RN in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Garland, TX

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only reason I stay is because of my awesome coworkers. We have to depend on each other, or else we would all suffer. Because of poor staffing and uncaring supervisors/director, if our coworkers didn't have each others' backs, a lot of patients could potentially suffer irreparable harm or death. Staff generally cares about the job they do and the people they serve, and believe they make a difference to those we serve.

Cons

1. Pay is marginal.
    2. Management is abysmal. They rule with rudeness, retaliatory efforts, and are very disrespectful to the staff. This has caused a huge turnover. Morale is very poor. VERY poor.
    3. Nearly every shift is understaffed. One particular nursing position is responsible for approximately 6 patients upwards of 15 or more. Another position is responsible for up to 11 patients. Management makes sure that you never have an empty bed, and they don't care to hear about acuity. Since the paramedics/techs aren't allowed to do much more than stock, transport, and change linens, that means the nurse has to do all interventions. Oftentimes, there is only one tech in the whole department, so their duties become yours anyways. They are worked to death and often quit.
    4. Staff works under the constant threat of termination. Just to prove a point, the director recently fired 3 very productive and well-liked staff members in one week.
    5. High turnover due to management. I think in the last year, maybe 10 FT nurses and techs have transferred to other hospitals or departments specifically because of the issues related to management behavior. Besides myself, I know of 4 other nurses on my shift that are looking for jobs elsewhere, and we are of the few nurses left in the department with more than 5 years of experience. How scary is that for a critical patient?

Learn how to treat employees with the kindness and generosity you expect us to give to our patients, and leave your personal feelings for them at home. Don't yell at us like we are trash. Practice what you preach. Learn what is going on in your department, instead of lurking around corners trying to catch us doing something wrong so that you can write us up. Get out from behind your desk and see what real nursing is like. Oh, that's right- you can't actually "do" my job, you can only "tell" me how to do it.

There are newer employer reviews for Baylor Health Care System