Looking back

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Bayside Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Bayside Solutions for several years and rode the rollercoaster. It was my first job out of college and I didn't know what bad, good or great looked like. Comparing my current employer to Bayside Solutions, the grass is greener in many ways.

The positive remarks I can give on this is company is that if you have the grit and guts to survive you can handle almost anything. This is a boiler room and it takes a lot of self motivation and drive to push through the BS. If you can walk away from this company successful with something to show for it, you will find it a great foundation for your future career. If you let this place chew you up and spit you out it can be hard to pick yourself up again.

I would also like to make the disclamer that agency recruiting is never easy. It never slows down, there are very short timeframes in which you celebrate and there is always more work to do. This is not unique to Bayside Solutions. This type of job is a lot of hard work. Many people can only handle an outside agency environment for less than 3 years before they burn out and go internal with an organization. The reason recruiters chose to work with an agency or firm versus taking an internal role are almost always centered around the fact that you have the opportunity to make a whole lot more money with an agency. If you arent motivated by money then don't bother working here.

I would recommend this company to a friend looking for an entry level job, but I would set their expectations. I would also have strong opinions on which departments are best to work under.

Cons

The environment and culture at Bayside is one that rules by fear and whip cracking. The culture does not foster collaboration, thought leadership or apprenticeship.

Recruiting is an apprenticeship business. To be a successful recruiter you need to learn from those above you and be properly mentored. There are some decent mentors at Bayside, but not many, and to their disadvantage many of them have been at Bayside Solutions for a very long time and only have one perspective on how to approach problems or do things. If you want to survive here, seek out a mentor and latch on to them. Do not get sucked in to the toxic culture around you and focus on building your brand and achieving something. Survive here and you can go on to do so much more.

The company was improving when I left. I hope that they have continued to improve and will get better ratings as time goes on. And yes, I can verify that several of the good reviews on this page were doctored by management that is fortunately no longer with the business. There was also a toxic culture problem which I think has been cleared up for the most part.

There are many good people here who I like and respect, but the environment is tough to endorse. This is a tough business to be in and the combination of poor leadership and immature culture are the critical elements that are hindering the successful growth of this business internally. Bayside has a good value prop and good customers, they also have pretty good salespeople. I hope they can continue to improve in these two critical areas.

Advice to Management

This company needs an HR department in a major way. Not stodgy sleepy HR, but good progressive Silicon Valley HR that can drive this company in the right direction. For a recuiting company, that kind of HR talent shouldn't be hard to find in the Valley. Take a look at Workday across the street.

Do not promise Cabo in a year. Set realistic expectations for your employees.
Find ways to foster collaboration and thought leadership.
Scare tactics are not effective management tools. Encourage and promote. If someone is falling behind find ways to make them successful instead of pushing them out the door.

0 reviews filtered by