There are newer employer reviews for Baystate Health

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian  in  Springfield, MA
Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best pay and benefits of all the nearby hospitals.

Cons

This corporate enviroment shows by making employees feel like just a number.

39 Other Employee Reviews for Baystate Health (View Most Recent)

Declining morale

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health

Pros

My manager is good but she is handcuffed by upper management mandate to cut every penny at every opportunity regardless of broad patient safety concerns.
    BMC used to be a more compassionate employee-sensitive place to work but is has become essentially a corporation looking to squeeze out profit with little concern for patient safety fallout.

Cons

Employee perks have slowly disappeared and along with that, morale. Visitors used to be able to fill out slip, recognizing our good work...get five and receive $50. That was cut. Now, visitor gets a "chance" to give BMC money in recognition of our good work.

Although BMC actually own its own very profitable insurance company, all co-pays have skyrocketed and premiums continue to rise. No matter how much money they make, it's never enough. We know when we get the letter that opens, "We value your commitment..." it's time to get ready for yet more sacrifice.

Because ti is run like a business, although it is non-profit, it persists in micromanaging how nurses work. Nursing, is, in inherently unpredictable. Treating it as assembly line work results in fragmented and short staffing and unsafe patient scenarios. This has become the norm at BMC.

We lost the ability to park on campus and must now bus in from a distant lot. We must now show up 15 early(on out time) as we often must wait until the bus is full before it departs. We are not compensated for this time. At shift's end, it is common, once again, to have to wait for the bus to arrive.

Recently, any work over 12 hours is straight time unless it happens to exceed 40-hours.
    One might think having to stay beyond 12 hours in order to complete the workload might constitute a dedication worthy of overtime. Not anymore.

Finally, as part-timer, my insurance premium is about 300% more than a full timer, same coverage, same policy. I asked the CEO to rationalize this gross disparity....to paraphrase, he told me others do it so we do it.

Create contingency staffing plans to prevent persistent under staffing that is taking place on nursing units. Two nurses calling out sick should not create a "crisis" situation for all other staff.
    Patients are regularly put at risk and morale is suffering.

Put the money into the personnel who actually do the work of caring for people.

Decide....is BMC a real hospital or a mere subsidiary of a for-profit insurance company?

Academia- Positions don't pay a lot

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health

Pros

Good Hospital and work environment
    Hospital has good benefits

Cons

PVLSI- Research don't pay a lot and not many benefits. Forget about the bonus.

There are newer employer reviews for Baystate Health

Worked for Baystate Health? Contribute to the Community!