There are newer employer reviews for Bazaarvoice

Best place I've worked so far

Current Employee - Market Development in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Market Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice

Pros

Environment and culture are exceptional. High-energy, professional, yet laid back. Compensation is fair, and diligent, hard work is rewarded financially. Clear-spoken communication from leadership, and leadership that cares (legitimately) about success of the people. Great food and healthy options in the kitchens, with frequent lunches catered in. Unlimited vacation is always a plus. For the record, although it is high-energy, this is definitely the calmest place I've ever worked. Oddly enough, it is also the most energetic, and the most positive.

Cons

(1) Constant change with the usual spin from management that "this time things will be different." What would be refreshing is an acknowledgement that this is just how life is in a company that grows so fast...we make some mistakes, try new things, and learn as we go. This includes quarterly large-scale territory changes. (2) For Market Development, there has been a lot of repeated account shifting and timely response from leadership over comp structure changes lags. On the plus side, at least MD leadership communicates about this stuff and seems to hold the rest of the organization responsible. (3) The company is shedding a lot of experienced talent as it grows, so there could be a stronger talent retention program in place so the recruiters weren't always going berserk.

Authentic honesty trumps positive spin when it comes to change. We know you work hard at it, but try to implement a scalable structure that will endure for more than a quarter. Sales leadership needs to deliver on its committed timetable to MD leadership - huge disconnect here at the moment. Initiate a company-wide talent retention program.

166 Other Employee Reviews for Bazaarvoice (View Most Recent)

Life-changing experience and career growth

Current Employee - Sales, Client Services, Implementation, Tech Support, Product Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Speaking as a qualified BV historian, this is the most exciting time in the company's history. Look at the news! We're crushing it! There are so many awesome things going on at Bazaarvoice right now. I've personally fought hundreds of battles against PowerReviews and we just "won the war" by buying them. We're paving the way for new startups and spinoffs in Austin - many of them emulating BV's culture and passion. We're performing very well as a business. Don't take it from me - read the news! It's exciting times.
    - The leaders at Bazaarvoice are amazing. You can find a mentor here - with both the skill and will to help you. I would not have the career I have, or be the husband and father that I am today without their influence.
    - The company culture has withstood the test of time and growth. I see happy people and good friends walking the halls together every day. Do we still take the entire company to lunch every week and play ping pong all day? Nope. But that's not what culture is. I see happy, passionate, high-performing, generous people all over at BV. That's never changed since day 1.
    - Salaries have become more competitive to market over the past 3 years. The company also has given significant stock bonuses to high performers that earned it, and quarterly stock bonuses to peer-nominated award winners over the past 7 years. Many young people (not only the true early employees) are getting a great start to their financial futures. The money making power of time will work incredibly in their favor.
    - Change creates opportunity all over the place. Many of the positions I've held at BV were a direct result of change - and that's when I've learned the most. I know a large number of people who have progressed considerably in their careers at BV - thanks in large part to opportunities created by change and growth.

Cons

- Working at a high-growth company isn't easy. It's not supposed to be. You can't show up here and cruise your way to a paycheck. In my book, that's a pro - but an expectation that needs to be set. As with many things in life - you get what you give.
    - Sometimes departments can temporarily forget that we're all on the same team. We're all watching out for our own resources. The business does get what it needs to be successful - obviously. Going the extra mile for the client can create conflict between departments. I've worked in them all and try to bring love and evangelize empathy. Carrying a bag is just as tough as implementing our products, as is trying to keep up with managing a rapidly changing market and many priorities in product management. Again - working at a high-growth company isn't easy!
    - Organizational alignments change often. The great side of this is that it brings a TON of opportunity with it. New positions, opportunities for promotion, re-energizing lateral moves, etc. The downside is that well... it changes. Again, a pro in my book - but if you want consistent org, the exact same responsibilities, and the same manager for years, this isn't the company for you.
    - Given our high rate of change, sometimes you see respected leaders, co-workers, or friends leave the company or be asked to change roles, and sometimes you don't understand why or agree with it. But it comes with the territory in a high-growth business. Not everyone is meant to understand all of the history and detail behind every decision. It takes different backgrounds to run a startup vs a $20m business vs a $50m -> $100m, etc. But along the way at each inflection point I've seen BV bring in the right folks that have kept the rocketship going upwards, fast.

- Sell our platform and services to Glassdoor. :) It would help them!
    - Educate the company more on the tech market and where it could be going. We have many smart people that read the news, work with financial advisers, etc - but the exec and sr leadership team has significant perspective that is shared - but we could do more exec driven info sessions, town halls, etc.
    - Empower middle management more to do the "small company" things we used to do, like grilling just because it was Thursday. I think many people would take the lead on this for their departments more but are unsure of operating guidelines, budgets, etc. I do it frequently but even I don't know what's allowed.
    - Keep killing it. I love reading the news about BV. I love what's going on right now and feel the company is strongly positioned in the public market. Thank you for creating this wonderful business that has done so much for current and past employees, in terms of direct career/financial impact, or creating opportunities elsewhere by fueling the Austin tech startup community with spinoffs and talent. You've made thousands of people's lives better directly, and built a solution that has changed the way people buy products worldwide.

Wow - what a 180 this place has done in the last year.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice

Pros

-Vacation policy
    -the people
    -what we've built so far
    - no micro-management (yet)
    - nice office
    - free snacks
    -benefits

Cons

-Sr. leadership is throwing a lot of shiny objects (i.e. high priced GM's and other Execs) at our problems, and its only adding to the issues. more layers is not the answer.
    -Execs are COMPLETELY out of touch with what's going on right now. Feels like a mass exodus is about to happen.
    -The wonderful culture is all but gone and no one seems to care anymore
    -Caring about employees seems to be all but gone- we've lost some super talented people recently that helped build this company. They've either been pushed out or unceremoniously been let go.
    -A recent high level Exec hire has completely poisoned the culture and seen almost their entire team leave voluntarily, and nothing has been done about it. Not good for morale.
    -Too many changes all the time, both in sales and product. Nothing ever has time to bake. Knee jerk reactions to everything is the norm here.
    -Still a feeling of a 'boy's club' amongst certain leaders, esp in sales. If you're not in it...good luck getting moved up.

Wake up guys - what was once a special place has deteriorated into a very sad state of affairs, and no one is convinced you all care anymore. Its as if the IPO happened, you made your money and that is it. This was once a place of pride to work at, people were clamoring to get it. Now people can't wait to get out, everyone is looking for jobs. The reason being, all of our friends who have left have told us how it is on the other side - more pay, less stress and being cared about by leadership. There's still time to turn things around but I fear its too late, too many great people are already gone. How long are you going to keep ignoring the problems?

There are newer employer reviews for Bazaarvoice