Bazaarvoice

www.bazaarvoice.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Bazaarvoice

Best place I've worked so far

Current Employee - Market Development in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Market Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice

Pros

Environment and culture are exceptional. High-energy, professional, yet laid back. Compensation is fair, and diligent, hard work is rewarded financially. Clear-spoken communication from leadership, and leadership that cares (legitimately) about success of the people. Great food and healthy options in the kitchens, with frequent lunches catered in. Unlimited vacation is always a plus. For the record, although it is high-energy, this is definitely the calmest place I've ever worked. Oddly enough, it is also the most energetic, and the most positive.

Cons

(1) Constant change with the usual spin from management that "this time things will be different." What would be refreshing is an acknowledgement that this is just how life is in a company that grows so fast...we make some mistakes, try new things, and learn as we go. This includes quarterly large-scale territory changes. (2) For Market Development, there has been a lot of repeated account shifting and timely response from leadership over comp structure changes lags. On the plus side, at least MD leadership communicates about this stuff and seems to hold the rest of the organization responsible. (3) The company is shedding a lot of experienced talent as it grows, so there could be a stronger talent retention program in place so the recruiters weren't always going berserk.

Authentic honesty trumps positive spin when it comes to change. We know you work hard at it, but try to implement a scalable structure that will endure for more than a quarter. Sales leadership needs to deliver on its committed timetable to MD leadership - huge disconnect here at the moment. Initiate a company-wide talent retention program.

176 Other Employee Reviews for Bazaarvoice (View Most Recent)

Wow - what a 180 this place has done in the last year.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice

Pros

-Vacation policy
    -the people
    -what we've built so far
    - no micro-management (yet)
    - nice office
    - free snacks
    -benefits

Cons

-Sr. leadership is throwing a lot of shiny objects (i.e. high priced GM's and other Execs) at our problems, and its only adding to the issues. more layers is not the answer.
    -Execs are COMPLETELY out of touch with what's going on right now. Feels like a mass exodus is about to happen.
    -The wonderful culture is all but gone and no one seems to care anymore
    -Caring about employees seems to be all but gone- we've lost some super talented people recently that helped build this company. They've either been pushed out or unceremoniously been let go.
    -A recent high level Exec hire has completely poisoned the culture and seen almost their entire team leave voluntarily, and nothing has been done about it. Not good for morale.
    -Too many changes all the time, both in sales and product. Nothing ever has time to bake. Knee jerk reactions to everything is the norm here.
    -Still a feeling of a 'boy's club' amongst certain leaders, esp in sales. If you're not in it...good luck getting moved up.

Wake up guys - what was once a special place has deteriorated into a very sad state of affairs, and no one is convinced you all care anymore. Its as if the IPO happened, you made your money and that is it. This was once a place of pride to work at, people were clamoring to get it. Now people can't wait to get out, everyone is looking for jobs. The reason being, all of our friends who have left have told us how it is on the other side - more pay, less stress and being cared about by leadership. There's still time to turn things around but I fear its too late, too many great people are already gone. How long are you going to keep ignoring the problems?

Hard work with great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice

Pros

Bazaarvoice hires extremely talented individuals in every department. In 2.5 years, I ended up with colleagues that I considered friends and knew I could go to any of them if we had an issue. The people who had been with the company longer were particularly open to that type of collaboration without regard to any chain of command.
    Everyone works hard and knows when to pull together, especially to meet goals.
    The management and leadership training offered is really great. It shows that the company does want to invest in the advancement of its employees.
    If you work hard, you can be yourself and crack wise, make jokes, and generally find a way to enjoy your day.

Cons

Long hours.
    You need to assert your own work life balance.
    Unlimited vacation policy isn't the best way to go - just give people 15 or 20 PTO days to take away the ambiguity and make sure some people actually take it at all.
    The free snacks and food are a perk, but almost everyone gains weight unless they have extreme self control.
    The company does re org quite a bit and it can be confusing to figure out who is in charge of what.

Most of the senior leadership wants to keep the company informed and on the same page.
    Be careful with new management hires and make sure they still uphold the culture and values.

There are newer employer reviews for Bazaarvoice