There are newer employer reviews for Bazaarvoice

Life-changing experience and career growth

Current Employee - Sales, Client Services, Implementation, Tech Support, Product Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Speaking as a qualified BV historian, this is the most exciting time in the company's history. Look at the news! We're crushing it! There are so many awesome things going on at Bazaarvoice right now. I've personally fought hundreds of battles against PowerReviews and we just "won the war" by buying them. We're paving the way for new startups and spinoffs in Austin - many of them emulating BV's culture and passion. We're performing very well as a business. Don't take it from me - read the news! It's exciting times.
- The leaders at Bazaarvoice are amazing. You can find a mentor here - with both the skill and will to help you. I would not have the career I have, or be the husband and father that I am today without their influence.
- The company culture has withstood the test of time and growth. I see happy people and good friends walking the halls together every day. Do we still take the entire company to lunch every week and play ping pong all day? Nope. But that's not what culture is. I see happy, passionate, high-performing, generous people all over at BV. That's never changed since day 1.
- Salaries have become more competitive to market over the past 3 years. The company also has given significant stock bonuses to high performers that earned it, and quarterly stock bonuses to peer-nominated award winners over the past 7 years. Many young people (not only the true early employees) are getting a great start to their financial futures. The money making power of time will work incredibly in their favor.
- Change creates opportunity all over the place. Many of the positions I've held at BV were a direct result of change - and that's when I've learned the most. I know a large number of people who have progressed considerably in their careers at BV - thanks in large part to opportunities created by change and growth.

Cons

- Working at a high-growth company isn't easy. It's not supposed to be. You can't show up here and cruise your way to a paycheck. In my book, that's a pro - but an expectation that needs to be set. As with many things in life - you get what you give.
- Sometimes departments can temporarily forget that we're all on the same team. We're all watching out for our own resources. The business does get what it needs to be successful - obviously. Going the extra mile for the client can create conflict between departments. I've worked in them all and try to bring love and evangelize empathy. Carrying a bag is just as tough as implementing our products, as is trying to keep up with managing a rapidly changing market and many priorities in product management. Again - working at a high-growth company isn't easy!
- Organizational alignments change often. The great side of this is that it brings a TON of opportunity with it. New positions, opportunities for promotion, re-energizing lateral moves, etc. The downside is that well... it changes. Again, a pro in my book - but if you want consistent org, the exact same responsibilities, and the same manager for years, this isn't the company for you.
- Given our high rate of change, sometimes you see respected leaders, co-workers, or friends leave the company or be asked to change roles, and sometimes you don't understand why or agree with it. But it comes with the territory in a high-growth business. Not everyone is meant to understand all of the history and detail behind every decision. It takes different backgrounds to run a startup vs a $20m business vs a $50m -> $100m, etc. But along the way at each inflection point I've seen BV bring in the right folks that have kept the rocketship going upwards, fast.

Advice to Management

- Sell our platform and services to Glassdoor. :) It would help them!
- Educate the company more on the tech market and where it could be going. We have many smart people that read the news, work with financial advisers, etc - but the exec and sr leadership team has significant perspective that is shared - but we could do more exec driven info sessions, town halls, etc.
- Empower middle management more to do the "small company" things we used to do, like grilling just because it was Thursday. I think many people would take the lead on this for their departments more but are unsure of operating guidelines, budgets, etc. I do it frequently but even I don't know what's allowed.
- Keep killing it. I love reading the news about BV. I love what's going on right now and feel the company is strongly positioned in the public market. Thank you for creating this wonderful business that has done so much for current and past employees, in terms of direct career/financial impact, or creating opportunities elsewhere by fueling the Austin tech startup community with spinoffs and talent. You've made thousands of people's lives better directly, and built a solution that has changed the way people buy products worldwide.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

What is happening to this place??

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fast-paced environment
    -(still) a number of good quality people
    -Reputation

Cons

-Senior management is completely disconnected
    -New Execs/GMs don't fit the culture - one in particular seems incapable or unwilling to make necessary adjustments, and is difficult to be around because he's not particularly friendly
    -Pay is below average and raises are hard to come by unless you're on the Executive Leadership Team
    -All good requisitions are filled externally
    -TOO MANY PEOPLE
    -Stick around long enough and you become a manager, even if you don't have anyone under you or you haven't produced anything of value

Advice to Management

We need to get our house in order! The exodus is beginning and will only get worse come August when the long-termers depart...Some of the leadership should step aside and let other, more experienced business leaders take over and turn this company into a true success.

Uncomfortable if you don't fit in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people in certain groups are fairly cool; free drinks, snacks, etc; quite a bit of $ spent at company meetings and parties.

Could possibly provide an adequate environment for a recent college graduate or someone hired to a management position.

Cons

Might not be allowed to perform the job for which you are hired; many people aren't genuinely all that friendly; some managers are fond of "micromanaging"; culture feels phony.

Probably not a good fit for a professional with experience, a family, etc, especially if not a manager.

Advice to Management

Try not to forget that some of your employees have worked for companies other than Bazaarvoice. Also, a lot of talent is overlooked, marginalized, or simply wasted because an employee doesn't fit a particular description or belong to a particular social group. Finally, don't speak on behalf of employees you don't truly know.