There are newer employer reviews for BeachMint

Growing company, growing pains

Former Employee - Jewelmint Ambassador/Stylist  in  Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Jewelmint Ambassador/Stylist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at BeachMint

Pros

Fun, fast fashion, opportunity to build your own business, lots of publicity for the product. It was a fun and inspiring place to work with other women, building a business together with lots of support from lower management and other Ambassadors. Opportunity to be creative in a fashion forward field, building relationships in my own community. Selling a product I was already a fan of, turning an existing passion for a product into a profitable business.

Cons

After joining the company as an ambassador in January 2012, I started planning/hosting trunk shows for the company in February of 2012. While I was provided a free 10 piece jewelry kit and "customer cards", very little else was given as far as guidance and Jewelmint branded promotional merchandise, even for purchase. Having already owned my own business, I had tools enough to go into my trunk show without feeling stressed, and chalked it up to the company being new and having some growing pains.
   I was willing to give it a try for a while, give Beachmint/Jewelmint a chance to grow up with the hopes that getting in on the ground floor would provide me with opportunity and advantage. In mid to late February, it was announced that on March 1st, Jewelmint would roll out a brand new and improved Ambassador program (called "Stylist" program now) with more opportunity for earning and managing our trunk show business as if we were small business owners. It was generating a-lot of excitement from the Ambassadors who had been there since the beginning.
    The new "Stylist" program soft launched on March 1st, with the complete new program to go into effect by March 13th. Within a couple of days the Ambasador website had been taken down for "construction" if you will. I assumed this was due to the changed happening until I received a phone call on March 7th that the program was being shut down in its entirety, and it was suggested it be shut down that day, but lower management was able to talk the VP into keeping the program open until March 12th. The upper management seemed to give very little thought to what us "little people" on the bottom of the totem pole had contributed to building their brand and name with our boots on the ground. Having already planned and paid for trunk shows and showcases for the month of March (to the tune of about $300) I was pretty much out of luck on the money already spent. In addition, I had yet to be paid for any of the sales I had generated so far.
   It is now mid-March, and I have decided to count this foray into this kind of business as lessons learned, money lost. The concept for what Beachmint was trying already exists (see Stella & Dot for a success story) and I was hoping that Jewelmint would be a success as well. As far as working for Beachmint directly, I cannot speak. I've walked away with the image of Beachmint as a bit of an enfant terrible who needs a very stern father to take control.

I would suggest Beachmint further investigate any new ventures before rolling them out. Perhaps going back to the old fashion idea of business plans might help them forsee any snags that not only besmirch their good name, but the name of any person brave enough to hitch their wagon to them. The entire Ambassador program seemed thrown together by some kid in college.

15 Other Employee Reviews for BeachMint (View Most Recent)

Wow! Very fast growing Startup!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at BeachMint

Pros

- Great if you are into marketing, branding, fashion, generally female-driven products.
    - Lots of bright and fun people, "cool" atmosphere.
    - Chance to be a part of something growing, may go very big.
    - Always a new technical challenge, never boring.
    - Celebrities show up at the office for no particular reason.
    - Free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

- Celebrity driven brand marketing is the "new normal", space is becoming crowded, competition is fierce.
    - BeachMint is like many other "Dot Com" companies, featuring rapid growth, strong need for technical leadership / standardization of processes.
    - Location in Santa Monica means a tough commute for many.
    - Space is small relative to number of employees, open-plan office, no cubicles, little privacy.
    - General sense that VC's are putting money in because they want a horse in this race, uncertainty about where it will go and how it will end.

Keep fighting the good fight. Keep doing things that are generous to the rank-and-file employees. And eventually move to a bigger office.

lack for leadership and direction

I worked at BeachMint part-time for less than a year

Pros

Location is close to 3rd st promenade

Cons

Inexperienced staff and poor quality work.

There are newer employer reviews for BeachMint

Worked for BeachMint? Contribute to the Community!