There are newer employer reviews for Bear Stearns

Bear Stearns was a great place to work but too bad it does not exist anymore

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

Great advancement in the industry, lots of learning, steep learning curve if you like that. Everyone told me that investment banking was the way to go and I can definitely see why. You learn so much and a lot is expected of you right from the start. You are surrounded by very very very smart people and you can learn a lot from them too. Then there is also the pay. You get paid a lot for the hours that you put in and it looks amazing on your resume to have a company like this on there to speak for you.

Cons

The fact that you really have no time for your family and friends really takes a toll on your lfestyle. I was only an intern there but I didn't have much of a chance to see people I cared about or work out.

Advice to Management

Give more feedback to junior people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Understandable why they failed.

Former Employee - Equity Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

It was just like the other investment banks, banks which no longer exist in the form they had when I worked on the Street.

Cons

The downsides to working at Bear included the lack of interest from management to the impact of their decisions on those under them. I worked for a boss who took 100% of the credit for the activities of his staff and instructed his staff on how to cover for his time outside of the office.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that senior management learn to pay more attention to the skills and opinions of those under them and to never forget that they just may not be the most important or intelligent people in the room.

2. Once upon a time, it used to be a great place to be....

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

The atmosphere was great. I loved to be around my co-workers. The job rewarded me as much growth as I wanted. I was given much responsibilities that people of my same age could not imagine. Although, things turned south starting last summer, I did miss my tenure with Bear prior to that.

Cons

I think the pay is on the lower side of the Wall Street pay scale. Management is very capable but needs to pay better severance for the people they decide to get rid of. In addition, there is not much professional support network that promotes growth and advancement for young professionals.

Advice to Management

Need to compensate your talents better.