Interesting experience at BearingPoint

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

In my view, with present economic conditions and current status of BE's, there are still a few reasons to work for BearingPoint. One reasonable reason to work for Bearingpoint at this time would be that if you believe you can help make a difference in turning the company around. Ed, the present CEO, has a difficult task at hand, and can use the help. Another reasonable reason to work for BE at the time of crisis would be to help lead the change and execute on the strategy brought forth by Ed. If you have researched the company, understand the risks ahead, and believe in Ed, then BE will not disappoint you and provide you opportunities to get engaged on projects, possibly aligned with your strengths. I entered BE to strengthen my knowledge of various industries in a short timeframe. As other consulting firms and inherent nature of the business, I was pleased with presented opportunities.

Cons

In my opinion and personal experience with BE, it lacks a fair/complete performance evaluation process. In addition, I do not agree with metrics used to evaluate performance of employees at all level. E.g. Sustaining growth number during declining economy, while addressing increasing attrition is an unrealistic expectation. By no means, is it an easy task to provide a fair career progression model for 17000+ employees but fixing fundamental issues with the model and communicating reasons for the chosen metrics is an equitable request.

Furthermore, most practice leaders I have worked with rather show profitability in the responsible area with less concern to companies outlook as a whole. Some in my opinion do not understand what it means to be a publically traded companies much less the associated responsibilities. Sr. Mgmt lacks the enthusiasm and devotion to harness and grow younger talent to help make a better future for BE.

Executives of BE: I have no interaction at this level but would advice ED to ensure he has a strong team to lead us through these tough times. The chosen team must validate that how business is being performed which is more than evaluating numbers provided on dashboards. At this time, one must evaluate qualitative measures as well as quantitative. Numbers are a good indication but poor mgmt at various levels may not provide a clear picture. E.g. Pro-active monitoring of projects with frequent evaluations can help avoid\control loss apparent at later stages due to mismanagements.

VP's/MD's: Let's realize that we all must work together to withstand this storm. We must bring issues that need attention to light so Exec mgmt can address them. E.g. Let's ensure BE internals employee are of a better value on fixed engagements than a SUB. Processes and policies must change to accommodate needs of company. Finally, all of us must realize that we are not a private company and begin owning responsibility of a publically traded company. Corporate office has realized this but unfortunately the consulting practice needs to catchup.

Other Reviews for BearingPoint

Bearingpoint scoop at the top

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

The culture of the company is pretty good. Work from home is a plus. Benefits are pretty comparable to other companies. Vacation/ time off is pretty good. Soon as you are either a senior consultant or higher, you get 5 weeks of sick time and/ or vacation

Cons

Promotions and salary increases are far and few. Folks on engagements are treated pretty harshly in my opinion. They are treated like as if they were step children. Even though most engagement folks obviously work in the field and at client sites, I still think that more personal involvement from their engagement managers is necessary so that they don't feel like they have been disregarded, etc.

Give the folks at the bottom the adequate bonuses that they deserve so they will remain loyal too.

Great place to work, great people and work/life balance, but poorly run company

Current Employee - Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Great people and the work is interesting. The work/life balance is excellent (depending on sector - Public Services is great), not just for a consulting firm, but for any firm!

Cons

The C-level management team is borderline incompetent. There is no reason a consulting firm with approx $3.5B in revenue and strong utilization should be as close to bankruptcy as BearingPoint is. The overall benefits packages, namely the 401k program, is a joke. They match 25 cents on the dollar and it is vested like a pension.

Sell the company and leave.

There are newer employer reviews for BearingPoint.

Worked for BearingPoint? Contribute to the Community!