Beaumont Hospital

www.beaumonthospitals.com
  www.beaumonthospitals.com
There are newer employer reviews for Beaumont Hospital

It has been a good experience, that is why I stayed for almost 13 years!

Former Employee - Clerk in West Bloomfield, MI
Former Employee - Clerk in West Bloomfield, MI

I worked at Beaumont Hospital part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a great group of employees to work with. The supervisor is always there to back you up.

Cons

They are trying to get the most amount of work, out of the least amount of people, and pay them the least amount of money.. These days hospitals are run like busnisses.

listen to your employees. Make them part of your decisions

47 Other Employee Reviews for Beaumont Hospital (View Most Recent)

Great place to work. Just pick the right department.

Current Employee - Nutrition Coordinator in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Nutrition Coordinator in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Beaumont Hospital part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beaumont is a great company to work. There health care service is at the top of the charts. They're willing to work with your school schedules. Great chance for advancement within the company as internal candidates are usually chosen before external. Beaumont has some of the best RN's I have even had the pleasure to work with. They truly show that they care for the patient's and they're not just there for a paycheck.

Cons

In all business the budget never seems to be "met". The whole department that I was a part of has not received a raise or a decent market increase in there salaries for 3 years.

Sometimes micromanaging is necessary and with the department that I was in. It was needed very much. The supervision in the department completely cut morale to an all time low. This was done by belittling employees and just treating the employees without care.

Depending on the unit and area of the hospital you work at....

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Beaumont Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

4 Medical progressive care unit (MPCU) is a great learning environment. From this unit you can go ANYWHERE you want and you will be qualified for it. You work with ventilators, trachs, intubations, code situations frequently, COPD, CHF, Sepsis, GIB, overdoses, ETOH, ESRD, CAPD, neuro, medical, cardiac, etc. There is always new staff and students around so RNs get excellent experience as a preceptor for new GNs, RNs, and nursing students. You learn skills in time management, prioritizing care, critical monitoring, and working as an effective interdisciplinary team.

Cons

In general: They haven't given raises in a while, yet find the money to buy a brand new helicopter this year. Beaumont caters to "difficult families" & "patient focused care" even if this means giving in to unreasonable requests & disrespectful behaviors towards our staff.

The unit I work on specifically: 4 center @ royal oak. Highest turnover rate of the hospital. Management has accepted this and does very little to try & remedy this or look into better staff retention strategies (except by making new staff sign 1-2 year contracts). We go through ups and very low points repeatedly. Currently we are at an extreme low which forces staff to work large amounts of overtime and with additional patients. Often times leaving nurses working short and patient safety being jeopardized. Staffing is always an issue. The patient population of this unit is very sick & also the unit that has the long-term ventilator or chronically ill (LTACH) patients. In addition we get the most unstable patients from everywhere in the hospital, until they are intubated or CPR'd at which point the ICU's finally agree to take them.

4 Center has some of the most difficult family members to deal with because there are patients that just are not going to get better and family members often are unrealistic about care. Often times the ethics of what kind of care we are performing is emotionally sickening to staff, and when we do finally get an ethics consult - nothing is ever done. Our unit caters to the unrealistic family desires and wishes even if that means they are blatantly disrespectful to staff members (one example: I have been told I was not allowed to work with their family member because I looked too young, so management says "I am sorry" to the family and finds a new nurse that "looks" older) We are frequently disrespected or threatened physically by family members, sometimes a police report is filed (but there are many times they are not). We have staff members assaulted by confused or psychologically unstable patients frequently, for this we now have safety necklaces that can alert everyone on the unit if they are in an unsafe situation. Yes, this helps - however by the time I am backed into a corner and about to get swung at, I am still going to get hit before someone can get down there to help me because the alarm is going off.

I will never forget a few of the experiences that I have had on this unit relating to being treated disrespectfully but patients or family members, and I will also never forget how appalled I was when I was not supported by management of hospital administrators and the families were basically made VIP because of how they treated us. If you plan on working on 4MPCU, get ready for a very draining & belittling experience.

Staff retention strategies & get a secretary that works with the staff - until that happens you will always have constant call ins because I'd rather call in then get written up when the secretary doesn't even try to help you get the days you need off and waits for you to call in so she can tell management on you.

There are newer employer reviews for Beaumont Hospital