There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel National

A Real Review of Bechtel

Former Employee - Mechanical Systems Engineer in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Mechanical Systems Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Bechtel National

Pros

9/80 work schedule makes the weekends longer. Great 401K with 6% company match dollar for dollar and an extra 3% at the end of the year. Good health benefits. 4 weeks paid vacation and management is flexible as to when vacation can be taken. While under a project contract, high level of job security.

Cons

Work is mundane and the environment is not stimulating. A position with this company tends to pigeon hole an employee, eliminating career progression inside and outside of the company. There is discussion of career development, but very little is done to progress an employees career. The opportunity to work abroad is mentioned, but when it comes down to it, excuses are made and few get the opportunity to work where they want. Salary increase is very slow, and even when the company is making record profits, excuses like the bad economy are blamed. Management is constantly changing, which displays the inefficiency in communication and lack of organization.

Listen to the employees and treat them with respect, especially if they devote 25+ years to Bechtel. Make efforts to reward employees appropriately, a jacket with a company logo does not qualify.

41 Other Employee Reviews for Bechtel National (View Most Recent)

Making history everyday!

Current Employee - Senior Civil Field Engineer in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Civil Field Engineer in Richland, WA

I have been working at Bechtel National

Pros

The people, the challenge, the people

Cons

A federal job can be a paperwork nightmare!!

A federally funded construction job has a way to drain/tax your talent. I would strongly suggest you figure out ways to motivate and boost the morale of your workforce so that you don't lose them.

Bechtel: Safety and Quality

Current Employee - Area Field Specialist in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Area Field Specialist in Richland, WA

I have been working at Bechtel National

Pros

As a first timer in professional construction, I am profoundly impressed by Bechtel's committment to safety and quality of work. Weekly safety bulletins and quality updates are the norm, and they have set precident in keeping a NSQI questioning attitude. Employees are encouraged to question management and management answers those questions, either through the open forum of quarterly meetings or through the website.

There is an air of family at the site in which I work, and everyone from engineering, to supervision, to craft, to document control (and a host of other departments) pull together as one team to accomplish a goal of building the project we are currently on.

Cons

As a member of document control, specifically an Area Field Specialist, there are few opportunities for further career development. This project that I'm currently at is a wonderful place, however, my department is heavily relied on but sorely taken for granted. In truth, we work hard...very hard with little or no direct recognition from management or senior management.

Document control is famous (at our site) for following direction given by Engineering and Supervision management, yet we are not considered to be part of Engineering. We are expected to be a mix of document control, dicsipline specialists, pseudo-engineers and administrative specialists, with specific knowledge of all aspects of engineering, and design, with specific knowledge of all procedures. It's a large pair of shoes to fill for us, and we have the smallest department on the site.

Please consider on the job training in engineering for those who wish to work hard for the licsence. Some of us are more than capable of the job, but don't have the time (or money) to attend the schools.

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel National