Bechtel

www.bechtel.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel

Construction engineer as an international assignee

Current Employee - Senior Construction Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Construction Engineer

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

Bechtel is increasingly winning work outside the US so there is real opportunity to travel around the world. The international pay is significantly better than domestic pay due to extended work weeks and decreased living costs.

Cons

International assignments are 24 months minimum in duration and often times in construction camps in undesirable places. Many places are 6 days work weeks and vacation time determined by rotation not personal plans. Often times you must go single status and leave the family behind for several months at a time. International assignments as a technical engineer are more difficult to get but generally more family friendly.

Provide more timely feedback as to job performance and recognize public ally good work done. There is a perception that as long as you put in your time you will become a manager, not everyone is competent enough to be a manager even if they have been working for 30 years!

408 Other Employee Reviews for Bechtel (View Most Recent)

So far so good

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

I have an easy job. A lot to learn and I feel as if I am still learning. If you are like me (can't remember what was said when learning about something) write it down. My position has LOTS to do so I am NEVER bored. My location is close to home too. The week of Christmas we were off.

Cons

I hate their health plans.

I also feel isolated with the folks I work with. Coming from a company were there are a lot of employees around my age to a company where everyone is either a lot older than myself or about five years older than me (or five years younger than me)- I often feel at times I have nothing in common with them. I can always find something to talk about with them, but still... I feel lonely.

My boss has been there for YEARS and half the time when I ask them a question, I feel as if I am bugging them based on their reaction. When I ask a co-workers, she tells me, "Hold on a sec...." (because she's in the middle of something - fine finish what you are doing I'd do the same thing) but she never helps me so I am stuck to figure it out on my own then 50% of the time there is always a mistake. So - get a better training system - not just reading, but maybe a class for a week for new employees.

Take a hard look at some of the managers there, I feel as if I cannot talk to my manager because I am afraid of reaction I will get. And if I go to my func supervisor, I know they will talk to my day to day manager so its not even worth trying.

Scared to know that the department I want to go into - some of those positions have gone to the Reston office, so what are my chances of growing with Bechtel now? No offense, I dont want a long commute nor stay in my position for years and years! I guess I will have to wait and see.

Fast paced work environment

I worked at Bechtel

Pros

Compensation is better than normal.
    Vacation time is significant.

Cons

High potential for being Laid off unless you are willing to relocate after every project.
    Working late nights and weekends can be mandatory.

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel