There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel

Graduate intern

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

great pay and a good program to met other interns

Cons

Most interns are undergraduates but there are law, business and engineering graduate interns as well

reviews filtered by

Bechtel Admin

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay & benefits. Great place for career admins with little or no desire for growth or to do more with their career. Some require a 4-year college degree, however no use is made of it which makes for an excellent match for those who studies the Arts & have no way to apply their studies to their life post-university.

Cons

I don't know where all of the folks with overwhelmingly positive things to say about Bechtel work, but I want to be there. Maybe it's just my department, but it is utter chaos. I believe it stems from our "leader" who provides an obscene example of professionalism, & that behavior trickles down.
    Admins are little more than another supply to folks, being passed from person to person & then thrown away when they feel like they don't like it anymore.

Streamline, control the chaos

Mind Numbing

Current Employee - Mechanical - Package Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical - Package Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are the best part of this job. Most people work a 9-80 schedule with every other Friday off. Vacation time accrues during the year, so one can accumulate 160 hours off per year. That time can roll over to the next year, and the maximum ceiling on accrued time is high, around 600 hours. The 401k package is sufficient, but they don't start making contributions until you've been employed for a year.

Cons

To fulfill staffing demands on a large project, I was transferred to a group to oversee equipment that I had no experience in. I've had the feeling this whole time that I'm more of a gap-filler taking up space than an actual asset. Every change has been marred with red tape and nightmarish bureaucracy, and now management is reprimanding for the schedule delays. I'm not even an engineer now, I'm a technical clerk for the other disciplines.

There is barely any training. Their version of training is trial-by-fire. It seems that Bechtel took on this project without properly training and staffing people up front, and now we're suffering for it. In fact, they overstaffed by such a large margin that the parking facilities are completely inadequate.

It's very corporate here. Even their efforts to try to lift company moral seem contrived and silly. I also get the feeling they prey upon the desperation of immigrant technical workers. They rely on Bechtel sponsorship to stay in the country, so they're less likely to be open and honest about the work environment here.

Despite all of the time off allowed, it's just not worth it.

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel