Application Support

Current Employee - Applications Support  in  Reston, VA
Current Employee - Applications Support in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice working environment, Friendly Environment

Cons

Project Based company, likely to travel

Very helpful and encouraging, carrer oriented

Other Reviews for Bechtel

It's not What but Who you know at Bechtel

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bechtel does have excellent benefits; a 9% match on 401K can’t be beat. Having every other Friday off is also a really nice perk. Bechtel is an older, well established company; they are a top pick for LNG projects where they pioneered and still excel. The company has some excellent top notch talent whom are well known in the industry. Bechtel does have an excellent developmental programs and remuneration for select individuals. Bechtel will keep hard workers that produce a quality product.

Cons

The drawback, at least right now; albeit Bechtel is well poised with LNG projects, they need to diversify more.

As an older, well established company, Bechtel employs many procedures that are dated; they also tend to stick too long to procedures that just are not working.

I was loaned by a subsidiary and subsequently hired permanently. I seemed to get on well with management initially, they appreciated the quality and my hard work; in the subsequent years that followed, management became more and more cold and distant. I also discovered that my salary, raises and bonuses had not kept up with others doing exactly the same type of work. I asked if there were any issues with my performance also voiced my concern regarding remuneration. Nothing really came of it; I resigned. Management did try and make a counteroffer; however, after close to 3 years, I decided enough was enough. I accepted a higher position with a competitor in my home city. Another reason I left was more for quality of life and work/life balance.The only thing I can figure regarding my drop with management is that I didn't speak with my initial Supervisor and the Chief as much once I was hired.

You are doing well with LNG and have done a good job cornering the market; however, you need to diversify. Bechtel has some excellent talent; still, from my experience, it is more who but not what you know. Your current review practise seems to reflect this as it is presently totally subjective and based on personality traits and absolutely nothing on objective, real work.

Excellent company working on innovative projects that has a healthy focus on professional development/retention.

Former Employee - Purchasing Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Purchasing Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

Pros

If company loyalty is important to you then you're not going to do better than Bechtel! I met so many people that had worked there longer than I have lived. Much of the work Bechtel does in international in scope so there is great opportunity for international work/travel.

Cons

Very corporate/cubicle/process driven company (you have to be as such a big company) that can make young and eager professionals feel hemmed in by so many pre-determined corporate realities. It's not a deterrent but something to certainly take into account before signing on the dotted line.

As a company that has chosen the Function/Project matrix style of company management, the Functional Management Team and the Project Management team could use a good bit of streamlining and coordination at a high level. There appeared to be several disconnects causing rework while I was there.

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!