Bechtel

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel

Good Benefits, Work Enviornment

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex Time and 9/80 schedule (every other friday off). Good benefits, 401k matching plan.

Cons

Petty co-worker interaction, old school personalities.

Key to advancing is all about who you know.

Invest in your people and have personable communication and meaningful relationships with employees.

398 Other Employee Reviews for Bechtel (View Most Recent)

Bechtel: Make it look good on paper

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For those who are not as experienced, you are paid for every hour you work.
    You become a creative problem-solver, because it's apart of a job
    Home office / Design engineering roles have far better culture and quality (see good reviews below)

Cons

No work life balance
    - Anywhere from 6/10s to 7/12s, 7/14s, some 16 hour days, and always on call even when off
    - no idea when you will move to the next project or when,
    - no pre-planned work schedule
    - they will revoke your approved time off
         - They will fight you on paying for your pre bought tickets

Poor quality construction practices
    - Management may not know the correct standards or how to achieve quality
     - Complete lack of training and experience of Field engineers and superintendents
     - They have procedures that they red-line and go against industry accepted standards.
     - They go against manufacturer's requirements on equipment then back charge them when equipment no longer runs correctly
     - A favored practice is if no one saw it or documented it, nothing happened even if there's a dent to a turbine, 1" alignment on a fuel line on a fuel line, or chemical spill.

Employee Opportunities Limited in field
    - If you are "cross disciplined" (ie Mech working as Elec) your skills will not translate over into other companies
    - They will assign you tasks how they seem fit despite your career goals, mentoring, or requests for future improvements
    - No technical training, no accurate reviews, no constructive criticism
    - You are likely to have a new manager or lead every 3 months to 2 years meaning growth will only be see in that time frame
    - People strongly play favorites

Take a hard look at your structure, quality of work, and actual people. There is more correct on paper than what is in the field - some strong talents are being covered up along with some strong mispractices. Schedule, Cost and Quality need to balance.

It's not What but Who you know at Bechtel

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bechtel does have excellent benefits; a 9% match on 401K can’t be beat. Having every other Friday off is also a really nice perk. Bechtel is an older, well established company; they are a top pick for LNG projects where they pioneered and still excel. The company has some excellent top notch talent whom are well known in the industry. Bechtel does have an excellent developmental programs and remuneration for select individuals. Bechtel will keep hard workers that produce a quality product.

Cons

The drawback, at least right now; albeit Bechtel is well poised with LNG projects, they need to diversify more.

As an older, well established company, Bechtel employs many procedures that are dated; they also tend to stick too long to procedures that just are not working.

I was loaned by a subsidiary and subsequently hired permanently. I seemed to get on well with management initially, they appreciated the quality and my hard work; in the subsequent years that followed, management became more and more cold and distant. I also discovered that my salary, raises and bonuses had not kept up with others doing exactly the same type of work. I asked if there were any issues with my performance also voiced my concern regarding remuneration. Nothing really came of it; I resigned. Management did try and make a counteroffer; however, after close to 3 years, I decided enough was enough. I accepted a higher position with a competitor in my home city. Another reason I left was more for quality of life and work/life balance.The only thing I can figure regarding my drop with management is that I didn't speak with my initial Supervisor and the Chief as much once I was hired.

You are doing well with LNG and have done a good job cornering the market; however, you need to diversify. Bechtel has some excellent talent; still, from my experience, it is more who but not what you know. Your current review practise seems to reflect this as it is presently totally subjective and based on personality traits and absolutely nothing on objective, real work.

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel