Beckman Coulter

www.beckmancoulter.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Beckman Coulter

Good work environment, talented and long term employees

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL
Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Beckman Coulter as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

- Good work environment, development process is very detail oriented
- Knowledgeable engineers
- Employees willing to share domain knowledge

Cons

- Less usage of latest technologies considering that domain needs long term work

327 Other Employee Reviews for Beckman Coulter (View Most Recent)

Not a place for the Diagnostics Field Engineer

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company vehicle and expenses paid. You get a paycheck...but wait, that's everywhere!

Cons

Loss of the engineer's voice to serve customers. Immediate manager still clueless to service functions and needs after years. Leadership that has no idea of the diagnostics community. Don't let the website pictures fool you, it looks empty for a reason. Layoffs! They killed R&D last year in California, yet recently introduced a "Ramp Up" in R&D? Why didn't they keep those employeees who were working on projects? Recent layoff of employess in IT to outsource their jobs in Malaysia and India. Layoffs of instructors and support staff. Broken promises of a better future. Specialists in Miami, FL laid off as analyzers will be obsolete in the near future. Manufacturing for any Danaher owned company migrated to China. Beckman Coulter's Miami Manufacturing Facility sees the writing on the wall. Recent rumor is that Danaher will take all of Beckman Coulter's Divisions, break them off and sell them to the highest bidders. Danaher Business System (DBS) my hindquarters! Look into Tektronics and Fluke, also owned by Danaher. They reduced workforce immensely. Customers I visit tell me this is not the Beckman Coulter of yesteryear. Parts are cheap, new software acts more antiquated in regards to performance, modification after modification, after modification to cover up mistakes. Overall morale in the field is low. As one co-worker put it, he wouldn't hand this company or any of its jobs to his worst enemy. A recent program to hire college students as engineers went belly up because of the stringent demands on field service. They quit as soon as they were hired. Look at the company's competitors, you might be better off.

Don't just look for leadership, look for the right leadership. No one in upper management knows about service. Stop allowing copier repair men, life science leaders, and call center management tell Diagnostic Fied Engineers how to do their job when they have no idea what it involves.

Unsure future

Current Employee - Senior Field Service Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Service Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Self satisfaction that customers appreciate what we are doing for them. -Great position if you love troubleshooting mechanical devices; challenging and satisfying. -This position pays well, but more would be nice :)

Cons

-Micro-mangement style. -Freedoms and benefits are the thing of the past. -The doom and gloom of layoffs hang over everyones head. -Great and consistent performance is not appreciated. -No one to voice your opinions to (HR, management) without backlash whether or not "it's strictly confidential". I guess I should stop now.

Manage people please. We are not numbers or robots. Think before you set policies in place. We, in the field, know the right things to do. If someone is taking advantage of the system, please burn them at the stake, not the entire field.

There are newer employer reviews for Beckman Coulter