Bed Bath & Beyond

www.bedbathandbeyond.com
  www.bedbathandbeyond.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Pendergrass Ecomm distribution center is a terrible place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Pendergrass, GA
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Pendergrass, GA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice facility and equipment...nothing else

Cons

Low pay (30% below the industry standard), poor training of employees, unprofessional managers, no advancement, false promises to keep good employees, dangerous work enviroment, sexual harassment from managers, no respect from HR, total lack of direction from upper management. Racial bias in hiring for management positions.

Reward good employees, post all availiable jobs and pay (be more transparent), change the flirting atmosphere, replace bad managers, HR needs to treat workers with dignity. Hire skilled workers to operate equipment safely. Address safety issues.

887 Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond (View Most Recent)

Their standards for employees went down the toilet with the economy

Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

With the right operations manager (and possibly being buddy buddy with them) your scheduling can be very flexible. A few years ago this box would have been a lot fuller, but after six years with this company they no longer value the same things and only care for employees who will nod their heads to orders and put on a fake smile for customers. Also the no longer have great benefits.

Cons

20% of the customers are awesome, 80% are terrible. They abuse the return policy, open up packaging and leave in random places, etc. But that can be expected with many retail jobs. The worst was the direction the company was turning before I left. Less focused on customer service and all about the bottom line. It was very apparent the pressure that was put on all the management from all the way up top to bottom. My store mgr frequently told me he was afraid of loosing his job!

Stand up to YOUR manager and don't give into all the corporate crap they're shoving down your necks.

Solid premise, poor follow-through.

Current Employee - Soft Side Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Soft Side Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot, about merchandising, ordering, about the retail industry as a whole and there is room for upward mobility--if you really fight for it.

Cons

Exceptionally stressful work environment. The biggest issue is the extreme policy of customer service, which is a fantastic premise to build a company on. Unfortunately, they allot no extra time for getting the day-to-day work done. If it's busy and you're with a bride or on register three quarters of the day, you will be scrambling to make up for that missed work. The hour allocation is beyond a joke. There are never enough people--it isn't unusual to have a B+ volume store running with only four people in the building. And it isn't unusual to have three of those four on a register in the evening, leaving only one person to attend to the demands of the customers.

There are no solid policies. I have worked at two different locations and at both seen us take back merchandise that is not ours, we do not and have never sold because a customer insists that they bought it from us. On one hand, I've been told that "this is our policy, this is what to tell customers" then have the same people turn around and give me grief for enforcing the policy they laid down for me.

There are no consequences for bad behavior. The lack of consequences and discipline is demoralizing for the people who are there every day, on time, and work their tails off. The lazy and incompetent ones rarely get spoken to, the people with the work ethics just end up working three times as hard. There guide book says that there is a 90- day probation period, at which point there is a review to determine if the person is a good fit for the company--only they don't do that anymore, so a bad hire almost invariably stays until they decide to leave, which is again, demoralizing for the good people.

And the good ones are held to far more rigid standards than the lazy ones. I don't mind being held to high standards, I do mind when the people I'm working with are not expected to meet comparable standards.

I have had weeks where I have been scheduled 20 hours on inventory prep (with all of that time supposed to be attributed to only prep), and have a (company determined) price change workload of 60 hours, then was told that I have time management issues because I can't get it done in my 40 hour work week.

And having district HR report to the District Manager is a joke because if you have complaints about the DM, the HRM is in his chain of command.

There is rampant favoritism. I've had employees who literally went out of their way to make my job harder, and when I approached my SM (having been unable to resolve the issue myself), was basically told "to just live with it" because the employee I was having an issue with was buddy-buddy with the SM. I do not need to be friends with everyone and I don't need to be liked by everyone, but I do need to have a professional, working relationship with pretty much everyone in the building and having someone who was working actively to be a detriment was unbelievably frustrating and demoralizing. To have no recourse for such blatantly disrespectful and unprofessional behavior that also flaunted company policy (would never come to register when called--in fact, would not ever speak to me when called, even when I was a front end supervisor who had to ask a lot of the floor staff), was horrible. When I broke down and went to HR about the favoritism, not only did nothing change--everyone knew about it, the store manager even complained about it to the favored employee.

There are a lot of "token" positions. A supervisor or a lead (hard lines lead or front end supervisor) is just a way of giving certain people more work and more responsibility without giving them any of the benefits usually associated with those positions. There's no real chain of command, except within the keyholders, even department managers aren't really treated any different then full-timers (although they at least get the salaried benefits). But in terms of actual power or authority--it's all pretty much illusory.

This company is built off a really great philosophy. It's a shame that is has none of its other priorities in line. You build great service off of great people in a happy working environment. I haven't seen a store that runs that way yet.

One: you are supposed to give a review at 90 days--GIVE IT. If someone isn't working out because say, they won't climb ladders, let them know that this is not the place for them. That probationary period is there for a reason--use it.

Two: it's okay to have people you get alone with better than others. It is not okay to ignore blatantly unprofessional behavior. It is also not okay to forget professional hierarchy. If you give someone a position as a Lead or a Supervisor, give them the authority to back that position. If you treat everyone equally, then no one answers to anyone except themselves.

Three: a little praise and thanks go a long way.

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond