Bed Bath & Beyond

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Excellent training, slave labor

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BB&B's training is second to none. They really work with you to help you understand how the store runs and they teach you valuable info on the products sold.

Cons

Slave labor hours, generally 60+ for salaried managers. Surprisingly physical...I liked that part, but many will not.

Need a better work/life balance. Perhaps 50 hours a week??

931 Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond (View Most Recent)

You'll develop a thick skin, or quit.

Current Employee - Bridal Lead/CST in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Bridal Lead/CST in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-There is a great deal of autonomy to help customers.
    -Working with brides and new home owners to create registries was the best part of my day. I really enjoyed taking them on what was essentially a guided shopping spree!
    -In general my store was in a well to do part of an already lovely small city, so most of the customers were fun to work with, easy to sell to, and very polite.
    -Lots of opportunity to move into management since very few people can tolerate the culture of abuse.
    -If you're organized you can really shine during Back to School pack and ship season!

Cons

Corporate seems to be stuck in a culture of abuse. I could often hear our DM screaming profanities at our SM and OpsM from downstairs. In one year we saw 6 SMs in our district step down to less stressful dept. manager positions.
    Many dept managers were frighteningly lazy and left most of the closing duties to me - I was the CST. I can only pray other stores are better.

Take some courses in anger management, communication, marketing, sales, and management. You'll probably see much less employee turn over. I was part of the team that set and opened my store, but by the time I moved away (and quit rather than transfer) I was the only person left from the original team.

Not a good Company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your able to see new items first on the market with the twenty percent employee discount, it somewhat makes it affordable. But how much can you buy on 9.16 per hour, with five hours per week. Who does that? "Ho!” The manager. Pros: trade places with the cashiers who are head of their house hold.... The question is can you survive...?

Cons

They will not pay you differential pay for nights and weekends. Once it was brought to their attention they then cutout the night work and ignored the employee for Sunday pay. Plus after working a year the raise was 16cents on the hour raise. No review, no retro pay, it just shows up on you check, who does that with the price of the fair market and taxes on everything . Hiring friends and family at the higher salery rate. (Nepotism)

Your good workers are the older ones, and they should get paid more walking in the door. We are the providers of our homes we don’t live with our parents. Trust everyone is not on welfare, housing, nor food stamps. Contrary to your beliefs or what has been told to upper management... Upper managers you live on 9.00 or 9.16 per hour. Also opportunity doesn’t exist unless your sexing with management.

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond