Bed Bath & Beyond

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

No SUPPORT for management

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Store Managers have creative input into the store, can be actual "Merchants". Great top of the line merchandise, company truly believes in service and does its best to maintain them.

Cons

BBBY is cheap. They are constantly implementing new programs copied from other retailers trying to mimic their successes, but give the stores no support or tools to manage them. It is just something else added on to your day, with no regard for the routines of the store or training for the associates. They then still expect the same standards in the store, but don't understand that something has gotta give. The buying office is a joke, staying in stock is nearly impossible.

The main concern would be lack of regard for it's management. They run the stores as lean as possible, giving no opportunity to train lower management for success. They also will listen to an associates gripe and take their side 99 out of 100 times., which makes it nearly impossible to manage your business.

Spend some money on your Management! They are the front line and face of your company!

975 Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond (View Most Recent)

Either treat me with more respect or pay me better. Either one.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers (mostly associates because were more down to earth :P )

such a substantial work environment that challenges your versatility on a daily basis. physically and mentally.

opportunity to work and develop relationships with customers

... im really trying to think of pros. im honestly trying very hard. its just so difficult when youre not happy.

Cons

Pay: expect way too much knowledge and work for way too little compensation and recognition

Treatment: treated like a kid who doesn't know what they're doing. I'm so afraid to mess up on something petty because i will get my hours cut. EVERYTIME i leave linens i get asked where I'm going immediately as i step out even if im escorting a customer or using the restroom or even if i just want to look at something because were slow that day. I want to work hard and learn new things and go far with this company but I just don't feel confident after the way they treat me :(

Its true that: department managers play favorites and affect others hours.

No versatility: associates are strictly confined to one department at my store and when they decide they want to put you somewhere else just because they like to delegate orders, you better know what youre doing even though you have no experience in that department and god forbid i can get those product classes they promised me... i know nothing about the products beyond what i experience first hand from looking stupid in front of a customer. -_- ... im not sure how to even work the pager on the phones and its simple stuff like that, that will make you feel stupid and expendable...

but i go into work each day with a brand new attitude and a new drive to work hard. i research my own product knowledge at home and i put my faith in the understanding of my coworkers when i mess up. i may seem like im full of complaints but im actually full of diligence. It gets exhausting but i do it with a smile because i trust that youre working hard to advance your own company :)

Big Box company, lots of employees and personalities to deal with.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about BBB is that you do not have to be smart to work there. Just dive in, learn the horrible, outdated computer system, be nice to customers, do what you're told -- and you're in. It's also a great place to work if you don't care for the usual 9a-5p workweek. Regular paycheck for little skills.
    Great place to develop a lot of casual work friendships, that ultimately can be kinda fun.

Cons

Politics. If your department manager doesn't like you for any reason, he/she can control your hours and give you the least amount of hours of anyone in the company (impacting your paycheck), and upper management doesn't care, unfortunately, even when they are informed.
    Lots of personalities to deal with as stores can have as many as 60+ employees.
    Customers can be incredibly ugly if they are having a bad day and want to take it out on the nearest person, which will be you if you choose to work retail.

I don't know WHAT to suggest, as I don't have a clue how to manage a huge number of employees, personally. I realize there is a lot of bitching and back-biting and catfights with a company of your size, but seriously consider the person who's coming to you with concerns about another co-worker. Which ones is articulate and tries to improve their work habits? Who is the one who works without complaining and takes instruction well? Who is the one who causes problems? Who is the one who is surrounded by drama?
    Be reasonable. Treat your *good* people right, and they'll stop getting hired away.

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond