There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Working or rather slave trading for 1 1/2 years!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most other associates are great to work with! Some of the lower level managers are great too! I liked it here when I started, but then common sense took over and I realized that I was no one, just a face being asked to do unrealistic amounts of work!

Cons

Upper management, to be exact, district managers are jerks and don't understand how to speak to people!

The Huntington, NY store is used as a training store for management to move on! For the most part that's good, because these "trainees" can be real jerks! They come here hoping to make themselves look good to upper management and treat other associates as their whipping boys! They become snitches running to management for every little thing!

847 Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond (View Most Recent)

Experience effected directly by management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work
    Generally Flexible Schedule
    Decent pay for a teenager
    Clear objectives and goals within the company
    Co-Worker drama is around but at a low roar
    Coworkers generally get along
    Generally a good part time job or full time job if you aren't the primary income in the family

Cons

Management is hit or miss
    Customers can be snobby
    A lot is asked from a small work force
    Awkward pay raises
    EXTREMELY hard to move up
    Hard to find coverage if you cant work hours because of lack of workers and availability diversity

Be more caring and understanding and a little less rude to lower managers and associates. We are humans not super robots that can be 100% perfect all the time.

Overall a good company but should pay the staff based on their PERFORMANCE, not just their previous pay scale.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with BBB for years and started as a part time employee. I moved to full time about a year after working there, then moved up the ladder as a department manager and then an assistant manager. I've never seen a store closing or layoffs/downsizing due to economic/financial hardships. Definitely a plus. Most of the managers and employees are great people who end up becoming like family. If you're a manager, you will see the people you work with more than your real family. Opportunity for advancement, although it is seen more often if you start as a department manager vs being a part time or full timer. Flexible schedules for part time employees. Always a challenging work environment.

Cons

Be prepared, ask for the salary you really expect or need, that's all they will pay you! Doesn't matter how much more efficient you are with your job, your experience, or overall performance, what you get hired in at is about what you'll stay at for your employment duration. For anyone that has started from the bottom up, I'm sorry, because I know you are not being payed the same as your counterparts that were hired in from outside of the company. Expect a .5 to 3% pay increase at best per year and an increase of about $3,000 for moving from an assistant to a store manager. High turnover and since they do not have competitive pay there are definintlely some sub par employees who do not pick up their fair share of the work load and then the reliable part timers and full timers have to work that much harder and are held to a higher standard than other associates/managers who are in the same departments and positions.

All of our communications and actions filter from the top down. So to the CEO's, RVP's and down, give some positive feedback to help encourage all of the BBB staff and then provide guidance/training and solutions to some of the areas needing improvement instead of just telling everyone how much a certain area is sucking pond water.

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond