Bed Bath & Beyond

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Welcome to 1985 BBB

Current Employee - Store Manager in Torrance, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary-Exempt + OT
Ability to source and merchandise your own items
Entrepreneurial spirit shines bright!

Cons

*Technology is barely 1980- computers are IBM Linux based- complete time waste, Managers just got EMAIL 2 years ago
*District and Corporate support is non-existent- company is getting very fat and top heavy- 4 district.regional managers all just forwarding the memo down the line without any input or actual solving of the problem, solutions are all created and executed at store level.
*Staffing model is flat hours- no increase in hours due to high sales or positive trends- Regardless if your up 15% in transactions and 20% in sales hours stay flat to last year. They do not trust managers to manage store hours via Payroll %
*Operationally inefficient- Too many processes that take away from the true goal of helping customers and driving sales. Lots of unnecessary key turns, signatures, approvals and audits.
*Management training is non-existent. Figure it out mentality
*Expense controls- Store level NEVER see's a P&L report! NEVER in 3 years!! How do you manager a store without ANY expense control or reporting!

Get back to focus on the customer! Cut the fat in the district and regional levels. We dont need 3 merchants, district ops, loss prevention and customer service managers are completely non supportive and have lost touch with the stores (they dont work weekends or spend time on the store sales floor).

Create a in-box for suggestions from employees to submit ideas to improve efficiency in the company. Efficiency can be sold as "hours back to the floor" and reward the employees with the best suggestion to cut the waste and push hours back to stores and customers.

926 Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond (View Most Recent)

Loved It!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Environment, Loved the customers, etc.

Cons

Scheduling was the only thing I didn't like.

Disconnect between management and employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked at West LA Flagship store - so large store with lots of cool stuff. Across the street from Trader Joe's for lunch or dinner. Was hired in above minimum wage.

Cons

Huge turnover because they hire very young workers or uneducated people who have no customer service or communication skills. I would see new hires hiding in their departments pretending to not see customers, so they didn't have to help them. Odd dictator like management - my orientation was 5 hours long where I had to memorize acronyms, sayings, facts - and was tested in my initial few weeks. Was supposed to be trained in each department and it's merchandise, but rarely happened. I liked the people in my department
    , but the overall atmosphere of the store was not for me. I lasted 5 weeks.

Do secret shopping more in each store to really see how the service is.

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond