Belcan Corporation
www.belcan.com Cincinnati, OH 5000+ Employees

Business is business; establish personal rep with customer employees for repeat work, otherwise you're out.

Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsVery high degree of Independence and work schedule flexibility.

Belcan's default 40 hr work week acts as a buffer to increasingly ridiculous demands on customer's salaried workers -(personal experience)- doing similar work. In the end, pay is probably greater if measured on a per hour basis than customer salary workers doing similar work.
(If a project is particulary challenging and/or interesting go ahead and work it over the 40 but just do it on your own time for the fun of it- having this choice makes a difference.)

Good options for health insurance benifits and 401k plan.

ConsAlthough I believe Belcan does have a college course reimbursment benifit, It doesn't seem that Belcan places much of a priority on expanding it's current workforce's skill set. There are no Belcan sponsored training opportunities (that I'm aware of), for example learnng a specific software, like you find with Belcan's competition, i.e. CDI (CDI University), or perhaps with a client/customer company of Belcan. This situation is compensated by Belcans hiring of a great number of retired customer workers (or layed off) to supply very specific and instant skill sets that fit perfect with the customer's requirements.

Not really a con, but experience is that business is business; if you can maintain a flow of projects on your own with the customers management (outright solicitation with the ones who farm out the work) you will do ok. Don't expect Belcan to find a potential position for you; you either have the immediate skill set to do the job in a current proposal or you don't which means you are out. To be fair, the fact that personal experience has shown that most customer projects are behind schedule before they start probably has something to do with this.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice since I'm not sure what can be done to compete with over-seas competition. Belcan as a company seems to be doing well which is your job's top priority.

Happiness at Belcan depends on your managment

I have been working at Belcan Corporation

Pros: Decent health package Flexability on projects Excellent direct management team Flex time Cons: Pay Senior Management Tight on spending for necessary tools (laptops, desk tops… Advice to Senior Management: Pay people for the job / work that they do,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Engineer

Engineer I (Former Employee)

I worked at Belcan Corporation

Pros: The company paid for relocation and the starting salary was… Cons: The mangement had no idea what it was I did for there company. When it's time for your yearly review and… Advice to Senior Management: Even though you are a contract company you should at least… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Belcan Corporation.

Worked for Belcan Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Belcan Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Belcan Corporation CEO Michael E. McCaw. All reviews posted anonymously by Belcan Corporation employees.