There are newer employer reviews for Belcan Corporation

Business is business; establish personal rep with customer employees for repeat work, otherwise you're out.

Current Employee - Engineering
Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Belcan Corporation

Pros

Very high degree of Independence and work schedule flexibility.

Belcan's default 40 hr work week acts as a buffer to increasingly ridiculous demands on customer's salaried workers -(personal experience)- doing similar work. In the end, pay is probably greater if measured on a per hour basis than customer salary workers doing similar work.
(If a project is particulary challenging and/or interesting go ahead and work it over the 40 but just do it on your own time for the fun of it- having this choice makes a difference.)

Good options for health insurance benifits and 401k plan.

Cons

Although I believe Belcan does have a college course reimbursment benifit, It doesn't seem that Belcan places much of a priority on expanding it's current workforce's skill set. There are no Belcan sponsored training opportunities (that I'm aware of), for example learnng a specific software, like you find with Belcan's competition, i.e. CDI (CDI University), or perhaps with a client/customer company of Belcan. This situation is compensated by Belcans hiring of a great number of retired customer workers (or layed off) to supply very specific and instant skill sets that fit perfect with the customer's requirements.

Not really a con, but experience is that business is business; if you can maintain a flow of projects on your own with the customers management (outright solicitation with the ones who farm out the work) you will do ok. Don't expect Belcan to find a potential position for you; you either have the immediate skill set to do the job in a current proposal or you don't which means you are out. To be fair, the fact that personal experience has shown that most customer projects are behind schedule before they start probably has something to do with this.

No advice since I'm not sure what can be done to compete with over-seas competition. Belcan as a company seems to be doing well which is your job's top priority.

74 Other Employee Reviews for Belcan Corporation (View Most Recent)

Happiness at Belcan depends on your managment

I have been working at Belcan Corporation

Pros

Decent health package
    Flexability on projects
    Excellent direct management team
    Flex time

Cons

Pay
    Senior Management
    Tight on spending for necessary tools (laptops, desk tops and some software are antiquated)

Pay people for the job / work that they do, many are underpaid

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer I
    Former Employee - Engineer I

I worked at Belcan Corporation

Pros

The company paid for relocation and the starting salary was pretty good. For a contract company the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The mangement had no idea what it was I did for there company. When it's time for your yearly review and potential raise you have to keep asking for your review. If not they won't give you a review or a pay raise.

Even though you are a contract company you should at least speak to your employees more than two or three times per year.

There are newer employer reviews for Belcan Corporation

Worked for Belcan Corporation? Contribute to the Community!