Belden

www.belden.com
There are newer employer reviews for Belden

When Belden comes in and speaks to you about being part of their "family", I say, RUN LIKE EVERYTHING!!

Former Employee - Maintenance in Apple Creek, OH
Former Employee - Maintenance in Apple Creek, OH

I worked at Belden

Pros

Get a check while you look for another job that will be there when Belden doesn't want you anymore and closes down your plant.

Cons

after giving us all a big speech about what a "family" company they were and how long people had worked at their company, they emptied our plant within 2 years; sending the equipment out and everyone who had worked at that plant for years onto the streets. We were a competent and competitive plant; they only bought us as an acquisition. They immediately sold off our corporate plant in Illinois, then our plant in Ohio within 2 years. We had to go to Mexico and train the people who were taking our jobs!! because WE were the qualified personnel. How does that stack up to "family"???

Put yourself in our shoes, even though you think we are just little, worthless pieces on your chessboard.

69 Other Employee Reviews for Belden (View Most Recent)

Means well but...

Current Employee - Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Belden full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good employee benefits, strong company ethics, valued brand name.

Cons

Belden wants to make a mark in high tech industries, especially broadcasting, but is severely weighed down by Belden upper management's complete lack of understanding of how to engage high tech employees and business units. Saddles new divisions with archaic workflows and technologies, and lets them make very misguided decisions that they think are what HQ wants because HQ does not provide clear direction.

Take your most capable, leading high tech unit and let them run Belden IT. Understand why your sales and field people are leaving in droves and taking your customers with them. You need to shift gears from the mentality that it's all about the margins (which is true if you're in an archaic heavy industry like cable manufacturing) to being a technology leader (which is what fiber and broadcasting require). And don't expect that buying a bunch of legacy broadcast hardware manufacturers will position you well for what is becoming a software-only industry.

Offering a good basic salary is not enough

I worked at Belden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The basic salary Belden provides is good and on par with other companies, perhaps even a bit above average level.

Cons

The work environment at Belden is very chaotic, mainly because of poor management with complete lack of focus. Work-life balance is also bad.

Don’t lose focus on your existing business during the process of acquiring another company! Furthermore, if you really want to be lean, reduce the amount of managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Belden