There are newer employer reviews for Belk

Good atmosphere, poor pay, good place to learn basic retail skills.

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager
Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager

Pros

Adequate support from management in important areas such as time off. Employees are treated fairly for the .most part regardless of sex, race or age.

Cons

Employees are set up to fail in regards to pay raises. The criteria for pay raises are unrealistic and unobtainable in some areas. Pay is inadequate for duties.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more. Pay employees based on their performance.

Other Employee Reviews for Belk

Hard work, low pay

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER

I have been working at Belk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros with this company! Health insurance is a benefit, not a pro

Cons

Demanding management does not acknowledge hard workers, too much focus on Belk credit cards in a recession, unreasonable and impersonal management, associates can not focus on sales due to merchandising and replenishing, hours are unpredictable and constantly cut, with low hourly pay, excessive turnover

Advice to Management

Listen more to the associates hired to represent Belk

No opportunity for advancement at smaller stores.

Pros

Belk pays associates fairly well. It's easy to request time off, and it's almost always approved as long as you request by the deadline. A lot of the associates are good friends with each other, making going to work pleasurable.

Cons

Pay for performance! It would be alright if all I had to do was sell and open credit apps, but associates have to do virtually EVERYTHING: markdowns, retickets, putting out stock, setting the floor according to the planogram, maintain hourly sales goals, maintain credit goals, helps customers find things, returns, set sales, change signs...EVERYTHING, yet we are refered to as sales associates and are paid based on our selling. During markdowns, they'll have you come in 2 hours before the store opens to markdown, and this counts against your sales. If you're a hard worker/good employee, management will want you to help them with all these different projects, during which you aren't on the register, which means you're losing sales. The lazy or incompetant associates aren't asked to do anything, so they just sit on the register racking up sales, meanwhile the good associates lose sales and get their pay docked. I hear they are FINALLY changing this, and will have operations teams to do all the 'dirty work' like how Dillard's and Macy's do, though they'll probably increase our sales and credit goals since that's gonna be our main priority now. Also, if you work at a smaller store like I do, there is virtually NO opportunity for advancement within the company. They advertise things like the ASM Development Program, which trains sales associates to be area managers, the only problem is that smaller stores like mine don't have money/hours allotted for a manager trainee, so the only way I'd be able to train would be to transfer to a larger store and apply.

Advice to Management

GROW A BACKBONE!!! They'll constantly complain about people being late, about absent employees, about the store being messy; yet do nothing about it! Why should I continue to bust my butt making the store look good (all the while losing sales), when noone else does?