Belk

There are newer employer reviews for Belk

Love Hate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Conway, AR
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Conway, AR

I have been working at Belk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company thrives on Diversity. They may not realize it but they do.
The potential of the company is unreal.
Loyal Friendly Associates, again, they may not realize it but they do.

Cons

Sadly they don't realize that employees that work hard, exceed goals, and are loyal are an asset. Technology sucks, old systems and registers, and equipment make the job slow.
Issues with upper Management, I agree with most of the comments on this site.

Action. Relentless Customer Care is taught, yet Relentless Associate Care is not important. A happy associate makes for a much more happy customer. It's called the trickle down affect. And customers Realize it. When the store has a good manager, the store does well, when it has a bad one, It doesn't. Take Note. Its sad when you have employees willing to lead and help but upper management is too worried about their own job on the line to save the entire store from failing. Its Insulting when a manager is hired while someone there has the experience and meets and exceeds goals is skipped over. Bringing in outside management when capable employees who already have a rapport with the team are there and willing to work. Its Great opportunities if one is willing to put up with managements lack of care for employees.

518 Other Employee Reviews for Belk (View Most Recent)

I Am A Belk Robot

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Belk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Misery loves company and there is plenty of that. The employee discount is good, too. It's helped me to build up a good wardrobe for my future job when I finish school.

Cons

Working every Saturday, having to explain to the majority of customers why the coupon won't work, being demoralized by management, having to act like a robot during the close of the sale with a checkist of things to say and do. It's a general feeling that the company I work for thinks I am too stupid to use my own words or to even think for myself. They also claim to foster creativity but I have only seen them squash any creative spark that dares to show itself in an associate. What this company really wants is robots. Who knows, maybe they will get their wish in the future. The other major con working here is the salary. Most sales associates in my store do not make a living wage. Shame on you, Belk.

Guess what? Sales associates have brains and they can make decisions. Some are also very creative but you wouldn't know that because you are too busy trying to get them to follow your robot checklist. Pay us a better wage and some of us just might stay and continue to not use our brains for you.

Would not work here again

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Belk part-time

Pros

Great co-workers, good discount and days where the discount even doubles

Cons

-I am given way more hours than they say I would get in my interview/training process. I made sure that they knew I would not take the job if I was getting more than 25 hours a week (I wrote that I preffered 20 on my application because I am a full-time student). I was told after training that I am considered up to 30 and will be scheduled as so.
    -Little to no time spent training. I literally had to close the fine jewelry department alone my first time when I could barely operate the register. Fine jewelry has a pretty tedious closing process in my store, and I had little to no idea of how the jewelry/case keys are put in the safe at night
    -I was sent to every department imaginable and often would be expected to close multiple ones in a night. I worked in fine jewelry, ladies, juniors, shoes, men's, home and accessories with little no training in all of those departments. It's not so fun when customers expect you to be able to answer their questions and you never can. I didn't even know where the stockroom was when I was put in shoes.
    -your job performance does not matter, credit matters. My assistant store manager will fire you in a heartbeat for not making your credit and is constantly at your throat. You are expected to ask people multiple times about opening a Belk Rewards Card, regardless of how clear it is that you do not want it
    -None of the managers ever had a clue of what was going on. I think some of my other sales associates had a better knowledge of running that store than they did.

If a customer does not want to open a Belk Card, do not make the sales associates keep asking until the customer gets irritated; asking over and over again does not magically change their mind. Also, try getting out of the office and on the floor sometimes; it may help you understand what is going on.

There are newer employer reviews for Belk