There are newer employer reviews for Belk

Management is Amazing

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Belk as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great teamwork. Management is caring and understanding. Clear expectations. Awesome benefits.

Cons

There was nothing negative about working at Belk.

Nothing, you guys are amazing.

453 Other Employee Reviews for Belk (View Most Recent)

Low pay, minimum hours and double the work, it's a job definitely not a career choice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Belk part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing about working there is the discount sometimes and I've even been cheated out of that a couple of times.

Cons

I've been with the company for almost 4 years and would I recommend anyone to come here? The answer is NO. I have been a sales associate and a OTA (operations team associate). IN 4 YEARS MY PAY HAS WENT UP $1. The sales associates make more than the OTAs but the hours suck.. They have hired people and pay them more than they pay them more than the people who have been there for years. Full time people get 30 hours a week because corporate does not allow the amount of hours needed to get the work done. For example a sales associate in my store will be scheduled 9:45-3 (that's full time) and in those 6 hours you are expected to ring and assist customers, put out new stock and check fitting rooms. Two people can sometimes not complete these tasks together so just imagine one person trying to keep up with these tasks. Since you are multi-tasking customers get angry when they do not see you near the register when they are ready to check out and when ever sales associates are backed up (which is pretty much every day) the OTAs have to step in and help on top of whatever our job is to do that day and then management wonders why our jobs do not get done. In the past 4 years that I have been working there I've seen so many people come and go. Why work a job making $9-10/hr working nights and weekends when you can go get job making $13-14/hr M-F 9-5.

Take in consideration the pay with the work that has to get done. When you visit a store do not just talk to the management because they will sugar coat it, talk to the people that has to work the floor everyday. The compensation should be similiar. It took me 4 years

A shark tank

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I worked at Belk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A reward system was in place to reward an associate that makes quota.

Cons

Belk's intentionally uses ambiguous advertising to generate foot traffic. This makes customers confused and angry. Unfortunately, this means the sales associate is responsible for dealing with the aftermath. I have often heard it explained as, " you can cut the tension with a knife", when you walk in the building. This would be from a sales associate's point of view.

Please evaluate the managers, prior to hiring, to include integrity in your mission statement.

There are newer employer reviews for Belk

Worked for Belk? Contribute to the Community!