Belkin

www.belkin.com
  www.belkin.com
There are newer employer reviews for Belkin

Entrepreneurial culture in a great market with good people

Current Employee - Director in Playa Vista, CA
Current Employee - Director in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Belkin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Belkin is a great way for people to get exposed to tech. They are in a whole host of fast-growing markets and people are given responsibility and opportunities to participate in those markets early in their career. People are really good folks who care about what they do. They are increasingly getting into more high-tech endeavors, such as WeMo (look it up.. it's cool!) which gives opportunities to folks who like such things. It's a good way to get a lot of experience quickly.

Cons

Belkin is not for structured sorts of people who want to stick to a process and be given formal training. It is an informal, seat-of-the-pants place. There are aspects of that that are good and aspects that aren't so good. you have to manage cross-functional politics. Which is a learning opportunity too, if you choose to take it that way. Or it's frustrating, if you choose to take it that way. The bad things are the flip side of the good things. If you understand it, all is good. If you don't, then you won't like it.

Don't just compensate employees with compensation, but use world-class external training as a compensation means as well. May be hard in the short term for employees to swallow, but will make employees pride their time more as things go on.

107 Other Employee Reviews for Belkin (View Most Recent)

Ridiculous

Current Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Belkin

Pros

-Lots of potential to be a great company
    -Interesting products
    -Talented, smart people

Cons

Belkin is a very dysfunctional place to work. The politics are bizarre.

First, you do not have the authority to drive projects you are supposed to be driving. As a product manager it was my job to be an expert on my products, but when you would tell a member of another team or you manager, they sometimes would listen but usually not.

There is a big power struggle there as well. Debating is common about things that are just not debatable. As an APM, I had to conduct meeting where my boss and other people higher up than me were there to make decisions. Often, I would start to present and couldn't get two sentences out without a superior completely going off point and derailing the meeting onto something completely different.

Sometimes I felt like I needed a PR person, because I was often blamed for things that weren't my doing. And if you weren't quick to blame somebody else for something or quick, then you would be blamed as if some of the major errors, and often I had the least to do with the big error.

In the more technical jobs (engineers, graphic designers, etc.) its a better place to work. But product management in particular is very politiical, and sometimes just out right ridiculous.

Overall, the people I worked with loved to be heard, talked over anyone and everyone, did not hesitate to set another person up for failure. Although we have to work across many functions and we all had the goal of putting out a good product, people do not work together; they work against each other.

It's the first place where I've worked that CYA is acceptable acronym that people openly use as a matter of course.

When I arrived, the company was in a very bad place. Chet Pipkin came in to the scene a little too late but he seems to get it and there is a lot of talking about change. People talk about processes, and changes; but just when you think they're going the "new way," they hiccup back to "old belkin."

If the changes Chet has talked about really start materialize, then Belkin will be a great place to work. They also have to chnage the bonus structure so managers do not put unrealistic expectations products and then ship them out just to get a bonus when they are completely not ready.

Listen.

Challenging and stimulating

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Belkin

Pros

Opportunity to put forth individual ideas and excellent mentors. Challenged on a daily basis and learning a lot. Able to stretch yourself professionally.

Cons

Hard work, can be very long hours, need to be flexible and able to deal with changing priorities.

There are newer employer reviews for Belkin