There are newer employer reviews for Bell Helicopter

Worked as a contractor for Bell's "Business Systems Modernization" project

Current Employee - BI Analyst in Hurst, TX
Current Employee - BI Analyst in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Bell Helicopter as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Career opportunities for job shoppers, great benefits for employees, opportunities/internships for students, implementing SAP

Cons

Old/outdated culture, office politics, company's not at its prime

177 Other Employee Reviews for Bell Helicopter (View Most Recent)

Bell doesn't value new talent or fresh ideas.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary. Located relatively central to DFW. Thanks to the union workforce the hours are great, 7am-3:30. Currently updating facilities from the WWII era furniture and decor.

Cons

Not in tune with the younger workforce. Management has no desire to send engineers to technology conferences, workshops or training seminars. Does not encourage flexible hours or working remotely; focus is more on physical presence and less on productivity. Doesn't distinguish between the unionized factory workers and the professionals in the cube farm. Large concentration of prior military persons are completely out of touch with the engineers and tech having no military background; huge communication barrier. Completely absentee upper management; after two years my step level supervisor had still never spoken to, introduced himself or generally engaged me in any way. Union workforce almost hostile and abrasive. Entering and exiting the facility is a constant battle as Bell does not enforce nor do the majority of employees seem to posses even the slightest bit of courtesy for fellow workers. Upper level management has and will enforce specific performance evaluation ratings based solely on a quota, going so far as to force a rating change with no justification or supporting documentation or evidence.

Recognize that today's young professionals and engineers want to work in a flexible environment that values and recognizes talent and productivity over simply punching in and "getting my 8 hours". We want the oppurtunity to expand our skills and knowledge with current technologies and trends and being encouraged to apply those to the product line in new and exciting ways. Engage your employees with meaningful feedback and at least some standard response to career direction.

Pertaining to Bell Helicopter - Amarillo

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are decent, although senior engineers are hit by salary compression. The plant's non-union status makes for a pleasant and cooperative work environment as compared to the adversarial "us versus them" atmosphere prevalent in the unionized plants at which I've worked. Local engineering management is generally competent. Management continues to utilize Amarillo as Bell's go-to manufacturing facility. Overall, it's a good engineering job for those who don't want to live in the big city.

Cons

Draconian carve-out policy makes it virtually impossible for engineers to get paid for overtime. Promotion opportunities are almost nonexistent for engineers who wish to remain in Amarillo. There is a general mistrust of upper-level engineering management at corporate headquarters which has greatly intensified following a recent shake-up in local engineering management. Challenging the top-level engineering management with regard to facts or philosophies has been known to result in demotions.

Eliminating carve-out of engineering overtime and better mobility is crucial to retaining talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Bell Helicopter