Benedictine Health System

BHS - Beyond a Health System

Current Employee - IT Manager in Duluth, MN
Current Employee - IT Manager in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Benedictine Health System

Pros

The core values that are placed by the sisters of St. Scholastica Monastery are very good and everyone is aware of them. Most employees don't even know the mission statement at other companies. Everyone at Benedictine Health System works hard and is dedicated to the system. It shows with the number of employees who have longevity and the patients/residents who prefer to stay at BHS locations throughout nine states. It's common that nursing homes have difficulty staying afloat, along with the enormous number of regulations, but BHS is thriving and doing well. Not only because of the people who work there, but the strong connection to the core values; Hospitality, respect, stewardship and justice.

Cons

Working on a shoe-string budget. Meaning, you will be short staffed and very often will be overrun with work tasks.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a great job, considering the type of business they are in.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. long

I worked at Benedictine Health System full-time

Pros

providing for elderly residents care in a health care setting.

Cons

lack of financial reimbursement from government

Advice to Management

none

Good place to start RN career

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Benedictine Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many staff have been here a long time, which says a lot for the company and work environment. Opportunity to learn vent nursing. Most of staff can be very helpful and people seem to genuinely like and be committed to their job. Benedictine cares for people who have no insurance and are not eligible for Medicare, and are the cast-offs of society. I enjoy being part of that mission.

Cons

Staffing seems a bit erratic. Working short frequently. Admin is more family-like than professional, which has benefits and drawbacks. Needs more transparency and involvement from direct care nursing staff.

Advice to Management

There is no employee manual. I was told when I was hired that they were working on it, but other staff informed me that they always say this, and there hasn't been one for several years.