There are newer employer reviews for Benefitfocus

Nice Company

Current Employee - Benefits Administrator in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Benefits Administrator in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work for, for sure. Laid Back Corporate Culture.

Cons

Very little continued training and people complained of length of time for advancement. It still is a corporate culture with emails that waste your time about silly events that are supposed to be fun.

Perhaps, instead of organizing events that you think are cool, maybe ask your employees what types of things they are interested in doing and they may enjoy doing them. After all isn't that the idea.

91 Other Employee Reviews for Benefitfocus (View Most Recent)

Wish I could have stayed longer.....

Former Employee - Developer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Developer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unfortunately, I had to leave Benefitfocus because my wife relocated to a different city for her career. The company was more than willing to work with me while I was transitioning out of my position and offered me the chance to work remotely until I got settled. My manager and team were always very helpful and I felt valued and respected for my individual contributions. I also made many friends while working at Benefitfocus.

Cons

This company is probably a little fast-paced for someone who hasn’t worked in the technology field before or for a very long time.

Encourage more cross-departmental communication.

What's the cheapest way we can keep employees from leaving en masse?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

As with anywhere, your experience will vary depending on your department and manager. You're going to be working alongside some great people, and it's not so bad if you can maintain a sense of humor about all the absurdity you'll see.

Charleston, SC, isn't the worst place to live. Greenville is also a cool little high country town.

Benefitfocus seems to hire a lot of software engineers recently out of college (they're cheap!), and for those young people it can be a great place to get started on a career...

Cons

...But Benefitfocus seems to have a hard time holding on to the more experienced employees, and it's not hard to see why. High stress, low rewards. The churn rate is high with the long hours many employees are putting in every release cycle. Yearly employee reviews have been consolidated to one month, so every year now there's Firing Season.

The company throws peanuts at the employees to keep them placated. Things like vegetable trays once per week, a free lunch once per month, and cheap sodas. The actual benefits (insurance, vacation time, 401k matching) are solidly mediocre in the software industry. Experienced employees are no longer 24-year-olds without families, so those things matter more than cheap sodas.

The Charleston office is on Daniel Island, which is great if you're wealthy enough to live there. As a rank-and-file employee, you will be forced to drive on I-526, so no options for bike commuting! Rush hour traffic across the Don Holt bridge is a crap shoot.

A few more points: outsourcing, cowbells, open floor plan workspaces, upper management drama, and the Finance Department rules the land.

Treat employees with more respect, and back up your words with some $$$. Hire more employees so that everyone isn't stretched so thin. Give better feedback and insight into the direction of the company. Enough with the yeehaw stuff. The CEO emailing photos of his travels is not exactly motivating to those stuck under the florescent lights.

There are newer employer reviews for Benefitfocus