Benefitfocus
www.benefitfocus.com Charleston, SC 500 to 999 Employees

Better Pay attention to your Customers,....or you will have none

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDynamic market and space to be in; Cloud software and healthcare. The company has a great marketing/PR engine around their culture and their products which has created a lot of buzz in the marketplace the last couple years. They have also grown very quickly and have accumulated some great "logo" customers.

ConsThey focus so heavily on growth with new sales that they have not been able to keep up with supporting customers. Implementation teams and customer service teams are REALLY struggling. Due to the rapid growth, all the seasoned folks have been promoted and they have hired a lot of young, less experienced people to back fill. Because of the long hours and grinding work, many of these people leave shortly thereafter, or the work completed is sub-par requiring re-work which just perpetuates the cycle of the hole they are digging for themselves.

in a SaaS business you MUST keep the customers that you sell as it's a subscription model. I know many of the new customers that Benefitfocus has signed up in the last year are unhappy. If they don't address this problem quickly I don't believe the company will recover because the "word on the street" will be out. In a SaaS model customers don't become profitable until about years 2-3 and Benefitfocus contracts are only 12 months, so they MUST earn the business every year. At the rate they are going and the amount of competition out there, their renewal rate will begin to decline if they don't "stop the bleeding".

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your customers and pay attention to the details of executing the business. Growth at any cost is not a strategy that will pay off in the long run when you are operating the company at a loss. Soon that new revenue you are desperately chasing will dry up and you will not have enough happy customers to keep the lights on.

Hire some people with domain expertise (i.e. benefits/health care). Hiring young people right out of college is great to fill the seats and buy into the culture but you are not adding any value to your customers and they are VERY aware of this issue.

It was 3 years ago and the position was not a good fit for me. All jobs have their pros and cons.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Open environment at least in terms of the floor plan Cons: The open floor plan was really the only thing "open"… Advice to Senior Management: I noticed a lot of people post it really is who you know there… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Only for the kid at heart

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Great surroundings, beautiful trails for walking and biking. Cons: Zero professionalism across the organization. Zero processes in place. Little to no communication between teams. Zero respect for seasoned professionals. Lack of… Advice to Senior Management: Implement service management before considering going international. Hire seasoned professionals who know how run a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Benefitfocus.

Worked for Benefitfocus? Contribute to the Community!

Benefitfocus – Why Work for Us?

​ ​​All Your Benefits. One Place.® Benefitfocus is a leading provider of benefits technology. More than 23 million members manage all types of benefits in the Benefitfocus cloud. By delivering technology that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Benefitfocus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Benefitfocus CEO Shawn A. Jenkins. All reviews posted anonymously by Benefitfocus employees.