There are newer employer reviews for Benefitfocus

Innovation at its best

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

The number one positive aspect of working here is the ability and necessity to continue learning.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to balance work and life since you become so ingrained in creating new technologies.

93 Other Employee Reviews for Benefitfocus (View Most Recent)

A good company to work for marred by one negative experience

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

The company environment is very welcoming and friendly. The other employees were very helpful. It was a challenging, fast-paced environment. The company's culture is most definitely a plus. They legitimately want their employees to enjoy working there. When hired, I was given a mentor and received a lot of training. That was most definitely helpful. There were many resources available for employees and I was not particularly overworked.

Cons

Communications with employees, especially concerning their performance. I was put on a performance improvement plan. I was initially given the impression that I was doing well and that the performance improvement plan was not meant to scare me, but to formally outline ways in which I could do better. I was not given a time frame for this performance improvement plan. After a while, I was abruptly called into a meeting and informed that I had not been meeting the company's expectations for the speed in which I was fixing bugs. I was given the option to leave the company or to stay on under a stricter performance improvement plan that was, yet again, vague as far as the time frame and not specifying exact standards I had to meet. Before that ultimatum, I was given no indications in my weekly meetings with my manager that I was in dangerous territory as far as not completing bug fixes in time. The lack of warning (either officially or unofficially) in any form was upsetting and harmed my ability to respond to any negative feedback. I should have been given a heads up that I was in trouble.

Make the expectations clear cut and communicate them to employees better.

Long hours, low pay and little recognition

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The offices are nice and it is a good location on Daniel Island. There are a few amenities the give you to try to make up for all the negatives.

Cons

Egotistical CEO, ridiculous expectations for hours worked with very little recognition, crappy pay when compared to other companies, very little support from management, and just an all around horrible place to work.

Listen to your employees and actually stick up for them.

There are newer employer reviews for Benefitfocus