Good company, above average pay and wonderful management!

Former Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist  in  Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust

Pros

The pay is much higher than any other non-profit phone job. The entire management staff is very approachable, flexible and respectful.

Cons

Too many overeducated, socially conscious, self righteous people at once can be overload. There are lots of annoying college students that work here.

Management does a fine job. No complaints.

Other Reviews for Benefits Data Trust

Great management and organization, but call center work requires thick skin

Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time for more than a year

Pros

The management truly cares about their employees, and you can honestly say that you're making a difference in people's lives. I was there during a transition period where the organization received new leadership in the call center and it made all the difference in the world. They use customized software that makes a huge difference in making conversations with clients efficient as well as make your life easier It is a tough job, but the leadership often promotes from within and is great at providing the resources needed to make your job possible. I had some incredible moments with both our clients and my coworkers, and I am thankful for my time at BDT.

Cons

It is a tough gig. You are on the phone for roughly eight hours a day talking to clients who are senior citizens. Phone calls are a constant, and there is often not a lot of down time without calls. Some of this is making phone calls to clients that already have one benefit but may be eligible for another. Much like making outbound sales calls, this requires having a thick skin. Although you are not "selling" anything, you are also explaining very complex benefits to clients in a very short amount of time while estimating their eligibility at the same time.

I didn't realize how much I had learned at BDT until I had left and moved onto other organizations. You do a great job of supporting BOS's while on a call, but also ensure that they have opportunities to see the behind-the-scenes aspects of the position. A visit from a representative from one of the organizations that we work with would likely help keep employees engaged and to see the bigger picture outside of the call center.

Many ups and downs, inconsistencies and frustrations

Former Employee - Bos  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at BDT allows for a steady 9-5 schedule, you never have to bring work home, and there is work events that are sometimes enjoyable such as pot lucks and trivia.

Cons

BDT's positive mission is slowly but surely falling far from practice. Since I have been there, I have seen the customer service, quality of work, and satisfaction of clients (and community organizations) dwindle steadily. Management receives large incentives and annual bonuses while others do not receive anything which is unfair. Many of the staff here are on the public benefits that they help people apply for (food stamps, heating assistance, etc.) because the pay is not sufficient.

Upper management needs to better understand all the neuances the people in the call center are dealing with on a daily basis. There is way too much change, way too quickly, and it's hurting the work that you output.

There are newer employer reviews for Benefits Data Trust.

Worked for Benefits Data Trust? Contribute to the Community!